What can you do with a laptop that has a dedicated modem built in. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2018, 02:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie

Exclamation What can you do with a laptop that has a dedicated modem built in.

As per the title and explaining a bit more. I have a laptop that has a built in modem and an RJ45 connection .

What can be done with a dedicated RJ11 modem or telephone socket built in to a laptop.

I'm racking my brains and trying to think of something but I don't really have any idea.

Would it not be possible to some how take out my ISP modem and use the laptop instead. Do something along those lines. I have pfsense set up with just the modem side on the ISP router.

Anyone any thoughts.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: What can you do with a laptop that has a dedicated modem built in.

The dial-up modem is pretty much dead anymore... Unless you have a dialup based ISP around, it's totally useless. The last dial-up server in my area was finally turned off a few years ago. Now I have to make a long-distance call to any server and that causes me to hit about 12Kbps if I really wanted to use my dialup connection... Far too slow to be of use.
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom, isp box, jr11, laptop, modem