What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julia05

Solid State Member
Hello everybody!
I am an absolute beginner about computers.I have bought an HP laptop a few months back. Some of the office features must have expired because now: I try to work in a Word document ( my laptop has vista) and not even the copy-paste feature is available.When I open it there an option that says: introduce the product key-I though that was the number written on a label on the back of the laptop but despite several attempts it says-incorrect key.
This lack of knowlege can be so annoying.
I have the HP DVD , can I find something useful there?
Have a nice day !

Hello,

Welcome to the world of PC's. :D

Sadly what you are experiencing is what is know as a Product Trial. Meaning that when you bought the PC you were only given a trial of Office for use for a certain amount of time. That time has now expired which is why it is calling for a Product Key.

Also sadly to get this key you must purchase Office. It is not the same product key listed on the laptop as that is the license for you Operating System (Windows Vista).

So your options now are to either purchase Office to get the key or to use a free alternative like OpenOffice.

OpenOffice is the free alternative to Office from Microsoft. It can read all .doc, .txt and many more files which you have already created. If you have used the Word default .docx file extension which is used by Office 2007 then you will have to find a .docx to .doc converter. I am uncertain if the current version of OpenOffice can support these file types by default at this time.

Regards,
Mak

Mak God bless you!
I've done exactly as you've said and the copy -paste feature is available now. This feels like such a relief of my claustrophobia.

Glad everything is sorted now. By all means if you have any other questions or queries on how to do something or just about anything, we are here to help.

Start a new topic in the appropriate area and we will be willing to offer what advice we can to help guide you in any way necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom