Wester Digital WD3200BEV: Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

SThompson86

In Runtime
Hello I am having new hard drive problems. For some reason it will not complete the XP install.

When I first installed the drive I booted to the XP CD and started the install. I selected long ntfs format vs quick. I came back 45 minutes later and the computer had a disk read error. I really do not know where during the install process it gave the error. Nonetheless, I started over with the install. I booted to the XP cd only to get a black screen after the "setup is inspecting the computer hardware" notification. I then took the drive out and hooked it up to my HD reader. I was able to access the drive and format it through my computer. After the format I reinstalled the drive, and started the XP install again. I chose NTFS quick format this go around. When the computer went to restart after the "copying files" part of the install I once again got the Disk read error. My guess is, is that this drive is either just total junk or the laptop just isn't compatible.

The HD model is a Wester Digital WD3200BEV-00A0HT0

The laptop is a Dell Insperion 6000 Model No. PP12L Manufactured in 2004.

Thanks in advance.

Notes- I have a feeling if I split the drive into 2 partitions vs. 1 single partition I may get it to work. From searching the web I am finding lots of threads about the 6000 series having probs with big drives. Nevertheless, advice still appreciated.

Shane

Well this post can be disregarded I guess. Doing the duel partitions fixed my problem and allowed me to load XP.

I am still curious on why the laptop could not address the full 320 gig drive.

Thanks

There's an edit button for a reason.

I never heard of this, but for an OS drive, you want two partitions. Easy backup in case your OS ever fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom