weird DVD burner issue, toshiba satellite laptop - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default weird DVD burner issue, toshiba satellite laptop

inherited a laptop with a weird issue. internal dvd burner drive works for one use only. after you watch a movie, install a program, copy music/movie to your hard drive, the drive just dies. nothing will fix the issue aside from a hard reboot. i've connected an external drive, both IDE and SATA (have an adapter that will accept both), and they identify immediately, will read multiple discs, ect ect. can even install an OS with the external drive.

im stumped with this issue. i had reinstalled the OS when i got the laptop, drive worked fine, copied many movies (that i legally own to test out the copy issue the previous owner said it had) with no issues. a few days later, drive will only read once then refuses to read anything else.

the first thing i thought of was perhaps the mechanism that moves the lazer back to its starting point had crapped out.. but i have no real way to rest this. when the drive dies, insertion of a new disc causes it to make its usual whirr whirr reading noise.. but eventually comes back with a redundancy error (cannot read).

ive ordered an external drive off of newegg but was wondering if perhaps this could be motherboard-related.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: weird DVD burner issue, toshiba satellite laptop

DVD Burner maybe is just simply crapping out. You could try to update the firmware on it, maybe.

__________________ Steam Account
Old 02-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I would go with a firmware update as MoM suggested, if that dosent work give us the model number and we might be able to track down a replacement.
Visit this and do something for the world!

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

laptop is a toshiba satellite, model a215-S6804

going to search for a firmware update for it now. managed to aquire a spare battery and dvd burner unit from a good friend of mine who works on laptops far more than i do.

current DVD-RW drive that is in there is a pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K17LF

finished patching the laptop, it was not running vista sp2. also ran a fix for toshiba cd/DVD drives off the ms website. since then, ive copied 3 movies (working on the 4th now) to ISO format with no hitches yet. will continue testing as the morning progresses... see if the patching i did works.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well, seems like 4th time wasnt a charm. about halfway through the 4th disc, the cycle redundancy error popped up.

swapped in replacement drive, currently recopying the disc it error'd out on.
Closed Thread