Want to upgrade laptop rather then buy new - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
MindoverMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: /home
Posts: 12,212
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Want to upgrade laptop rather then buy new

All laptops use SO-DIMM. I think he knows that he needs DDR2. Of course DDR3 can't fit in a DDR2 slot. Same for DDR and SDRAM.

DDR3 is cheaper than DDR2. I recently got myself some 4Gb (2x2GB) DDR3 for $35 on sale free shipping. The cheapest I see for DDR2 4Gb id $55.
__________________

__________________
Neowin.net Steam Account
MindoverMaster is offline  
Old 07-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NY USA
Posts: 384
Default Re: Want to upgrade laptop rather then buy new

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
All laptops use SO-DIMM. I think he knows that he needs DDR2. Of course DDR3 can't fit in a DDR2 slot. Same for DDR and SDRAM.

DDR3 is cheaper than DDR2. I recently got myself some 4Gb (2x2GB) DDR3 for $35 on sale free shipping. The cheapest I see for DDR2 4Gb id $55.
Here is a 4gb kit of Mushkin for $44 without even looking
Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model 996559

I would suppose you could be easily around $30 if you were willing to hunt around some.
__________________

__________________
Pentium D 935 @ 4.0ghz
AsRock g31
Kingston HyperX T1, 4gb
Radeon HD 5670 @ 860mhz gddr5
Antec High Current Gamer 520
InWin Br665 matx
CyberPower Green CP1500 900W UPS
Acer 20" G205hl
Camera Canon PowerShot SX10is
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
1) Be Respectful Treat other members as you would have them treat you. This means no flaming, insulting, or belittling other members.
Thomas is offline  
Old 07-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NY USA
Posts: 384
Default Re: Want to upgrade laptop rather then buy new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Here is a 4gb kit of Mushkin for $44 without even looking
Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model 996559

I would suppose you could be easily around $30 if you were willing to hunt around some.
Just for the smiles here is a ddr3 Kingston kit for $31 free shipping not even on sale..........
Newegg.com - Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Laptop Memory Model KVR1066D3SOK2/4GR
__________________
Pentium D 935 @ 4.0ghz
AsRock g31
Kingston HyperX T1, 4gb
Radeon HD 5670 @ 860mhz gddr5
Antec High Current Gamer 520
InWin Br665 matx
CyberPower Green CP1500 900W UPS
Acer 20" G205hl
Camera Canon PowerShot SX10is
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
1) Be Respectful Treat other members as you would have them treat you. This means no flaming, insulting, or belittling other members.
Thomas is offline  
Old 07-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
MindoverMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: /home
Posts: 12,212
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Want to upgrade laptop rather then buy new

See the ratio? DDR3 is cheaper, because more people are on DDR3 systems. I was talking about Desktop RAM, but the ratio is about the same for SO-DIMM.

btw, edit your posts, you should know that by now.
__________________
Neowin.net Steam Account
MindoverMaster is offline  
Old 07-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
pro2a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 382
Default Re: Want to upgrade laptop rather then buy new

Meh... my A105 kicked the bucket last night. Good thing I didnt upgrade it. I went ahead and got a new Toshiba. http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/...sp?poid=479006

So far it works great
__________________

__________________
pro2a is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade laptop HDD zhenkin Laptops and Notebooks 8 03-08-2009 03:22 AM
Laptop Upgrade McHopsky Laptops and Notebooks 2 01-25-2009 06:57 PM
Please help me out....trying to upgrade RAM on a laptop 808Flip System Upgrades 0 02-25-2006 02:35 AM
Help!!! Laptop CPU upgrade or should I OC it? OKLACOP System Upgrades 10 10-04-2005 06:28 PM
upgrade on a laptop? boywonder Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 3 06-14-2004 08:53 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.