Want to extend my laptop C partition space

Altheanao9

Beta member
Want to extend my laptop C partition space
Last weekend, when attempting to install a interesting photo editing program on my computer, a notice was given and told me that the laptop C partition was in low disk space. Today, this low disk space problem also stopped me installing another new program. So, I think it is time for me to fix this low disk space problem. But, I know a little about it. Is it possible for me to extend this C partition? Or I have to buy another new and larger drive to replace this old one? Thank you for any suggestion!

The only way to enlarge it is if you have other partitions which will give you more drive letters for each partition, If you only have the one C drive partition then you have it filled and will have to replace it with a larger hard drive, There are some higher end laptops that can take 2 hard drives but most do not have a place for them. One other option is to get a usb hard drive and use that for storing all your media and files to clear out some space so you can install the programs on the C drive.

Dauntae

Like Dauntae said, you'll need to have either unallocated space and/or other partitions with empty space to extend into.

Post a screenshot of your Disk Management screen (Start -> right click 'Computer' -> Manage... -> Disk Management on the left panel). That way we know what advice to give you.

If you do have free space to extend into... then look into GParted:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f128/gparted-usage-tutorial-224994/

You can also add unallocated space or empty existing partitions into existing partitions with Windows Disk Management - without any additional software.

You can also add unallocated space or empty existing partitions into existing partitions with Windows Disk Management - without any additional software.

I prefer GParted since it checks the disk before any operations, and gives a queue/preview of the operations you're going to do. It's also pretty speedy at doing it. Plus it has a nice UI where you can just drag sliders around :p.

But to each his own.

Back
Top Bottom