Vista died on my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiles

Baseband Member
I have an ASUS laptop with Windows Vista installed. When I try to boot it bluescreens when trying to load windows and immediatly reboots. At this point I get the option to run a startup recovery or boot up normally. When I try the start up recovery it just goes to a black screen and does nothing. OK None of that worked so I try to go into safe mode. I get the same bluescreen before it can start. So I call ASUS tech support and the technician tells me that I'll need to do a system recovery, which will erase all my data.

The problem is that the laptop is relatively new and I haven't backed it up, ever. So I asked the tech support person how do I back up my data, and she told me that they don't deal with that. So now I'm here to ask you folks what would be the easiest way for me to backup my data? I have an external harddrive that I can back it up on to, but unfortunately since I can't even get into windows I'm not able to use it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I have an ASUS laptop with Windows Vista installed. When I try to boot it bluescreens when trying to load windows and immediatly reboots. At this point I get the option to run a startup recovery or boot up normally. When I try the start up recovery it just goes to a black screen and does nothing. OK None of that worked so I try to go into safe mode. I get the same bluescreen before it can start. So I call ASUS tech support and the technician tells me that I'll need to do a system recovery, which will erase all my data.

The problem is that the laptop is relatively new and I haven't backed it up, ever. So I asked the tech support person how do I back up my data, and she told me that they don't deal with that. So now I'm here to ask you folks what would be the easiest way for me to backup my data? I have an external harddrive that I can back it up on to, but unfortunately since I can't even get into windows I'm not able to use it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

You can use a working computer with an extra hard drive slot, or a SATA to USB adapter. Run windows normally on the good computer, and then use the good computer to backup the data

^No idea what he's talking about..

So you can't boot into Safemode?

Well, easiest would be to d/l Ubuntu livecd, fire that up, and copy paste your fileds to the external.

Ubuntu will run jusst like windows, and as your stuffs new, should boot with no issues.

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

Burn the .iso to a cd and just put it in the lappys drive and power up with the cd drive first boot.

And no, you don't actually install it... Its a Live cd.

Well, easiest would be to d/l Ubuntu livecd, fire that up, and copy paste your fileds to the external.

Ubuntu will run jusst like windows, and as your stuffs new, should boot with no issues.

Burn the .iso to a cd and just put it in the lappys drive and power up with the cd drive first boot.

I to clarify what I believe 95Black is saying is you could purchase a SATA / IDE to USB adapter, then take the hard drive out of the laptop and hook it up to a working computer. Which is a good idea.

The other idea that Pat said which is also good is to get a linux live CD, boot to that linux live CD and copy all your files to a USB drive. Problem with that is that Linux will see that the drive is in 'use' because it was never shut down properly. I've read a bit into manually mounting a drive in use, but haven't tried it.

Problem is if you don't have an extra computer or a linux live CD that becomes a bit more difficult. Let us know which is a possiblity for you.

I read it myself, and didn't make any sense to me either. :eek:

I to clarify what I believe 95Black is saying is you could purchase a SATA / IDE to USB adapter, then take the hard drive out of the laptop and hook it up to a working computer. Which is a good idea.

The other idea that Pat said which is also good is to get a linux live CD, boot to that linux live CD and copy all your files to a USB drive. Problem with that is that Linux will see that the drive is in 'use' because it was never shut down properly. I've read a bit into manually mounting a drive in use, but haven't tried it.

Problem is if you don't have an extra computer or a linux live CD that becomes a bit more difficult. Let us know which is a possiblity for you.

Thanks, pretty much what I was saying.

Thank you for the suggestions, I am going to try the linux live CD approach and back up my data with my external harddrive :)

What is the Stop Error Code?

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/decoding-stop-errors-193078/

That topic will explain what the Stop Error code is and what information is needed. With that we might be able to try and save your current install.

Unfortunately it is there and gone so fast that it is impossible to see what it is as it reboots immediately after the error occurs.

I have now backed up all my files using ubuntu, but I just realised my system recovery disk is currently in storage in another city. so I won't be seeing that for a couple of weeks.

Does it have a recovery partition? The new laptops usually come with a partition already installed on the system for recovery instead of giving you a CD / DVD.

I read it myself, and didn't make any sense to me either. :eek:

Thanks, pretty much what I was saying.

Phew... I thought i had a stroke whilist reading your post... Was worried.

Now that you got your files safe, I'd try fixing the error before a format..

You can get the dump file and thus the error code out of the minidump folder. or the most recent is called memory.dmp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom