Vaio- woth it ? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2008, 06:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Vaio- woth it ?

As i find myself traveling a lot these days,i was thinking it's time to buy a laptop. Would anyone here recommand a Vaio ? If so , why ? Is it worth the money ?

Old 10-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: Vaio- woth it ?

i wouldn't,they seem kinda crapy for the amount of money you have to pay for em.

if you want something cheap and good look at some acer aspires.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I would definitely recommend against Acers. Cheap crap most of them have been in my many years of experience dealing with them and almost non-existant support.

Sony is good but I think they're over priced. You can get an msi/asus/toshiba with same specs for less money every time and really it will be just as good. With Sony I think you pay for the name more than anything.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Bulldog

Sony makes solid laptops, but they tend to use a lot or proprietary stuff and you pay a lot for the name.

Acer are crap, avoid them. The prices may look good, but hats about it

Toshiba's in my experience use proprietary ram and have a attendance to break.

Compaq uses cheap everything. My last laptop was a Compaq, I hated it. The integrated sound was failing the thing was core2 but still used a p4 vintage 945 chipset)

If you can, get one direct from Asus or MSI. They make a lot of the laptops for oems anyways, their machines are solid and tend to have much more value.

<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Old 10-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

I wouldn't get a vaio IMO. Overpriced for the quality you get. I've heard only good things about Acer laptops... but I personally haven't dealt with them, so jorsoft may have a better idea of their support.

I have an HP, and always recommend HP to friends, family, and clients. Quality laptop, decently priced, and their customer service has been great.
-Vista SME
Old 10-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Alright. Thanks for your input guys.So it's don't to Toshiba/Asus/HP . Will keep researching .:nerd:
Old 10-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Get an HP, I like HP. Vaio's are extremely overpriced and Sony tends to use WAY too much proprietary spam on their PC's. Sony has a record of making things that only work on their hardware, components that don't work in other PC's, etc. Never had an Acer, but people say they're bad. Don't get a Compaq, my friend's Compaq had a failed hinge, a dead CD drive, and some other hardware issues. My new HP is nice though.

I'd definitely look at HP, I have a dv9700t and it runs great.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Putting the X in Sapper

As much as I usually tell people to avoid them, Dell laptops are very good value for the price. Make sure you get a hefty warranty if you get a dell, because they are known to have shotty workmanship (assembly).
My Current PC-
Intel Q6600 G0 |Western Digital 250gb HD
Seagate 500gb HD | Western Digital 500gb HD | VisionTek HD4870 | 4gb Cruical Ballistix Tracer DDR2 800
850w Thermaltake PSU | Cooler Master Centurian 590 | 2x Dell 22" LCD

-900HA EEE pc
Old 10-07-2008, 04:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Personally I think sony Vaio is over priced, they have their Sony VAIO VGN-UX490N/C 4.5-Inch portable computer for $2499. That's maybe something cool, but I that's too expensive. I suggested that you can have a look at the Hp, they are having some portable laptops also. I remembered you to have a look at the HP KX868AT 2133 Mini-Note PC 8.9-inch laptop for $580. Or you can go to Dell they are nice also.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Originally Posted by iluminatus View Post
Alright. Thanks for your input guys.So it's don't to Toshiba/Asus/HP . Will keep researching .:nerd:
Who said no to Asus and HP????

Closed Thread