vaio nw17gj vs others

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter_ming

Baseband Member
Hi all,

After a long search, i finally come across a handsome looking laptop which i think fulfill my needs and budget, the Sony vaio nw17gj*, with something like US$ 999 (core2duo T6500 2.10Ghz, vista home premium 64bit, ati mobility radeon HD 4570 256mb, 4ggb sdram - up to 8ggb, 320gb HD, DL DVD). Do you guys think it has good price to capability/performance ratio?

I'll leave my old P4 2.8GHz PC at home for the most basic job, it's gotten much slower now, and mkv files are completely whacked on it, but i think with a clean re-install with only selected softwares running for the most basic job (download, itunes, and storage) it should be enough.

I'll use the vaio for video converting and HD playback since it has discrete ATI GPU with HDMI.

Talk about video converting, NVIDIA has Pure Video HD and CUDA which i understand take the load off the CPU for graphical related tasks with selected softwares, and ATI has ATI stream. Now does the Radeon HD 4570 have ATI stream function? And how will it help me in converting/playing HD videos and such, and what softwares work best with it? Finally, how much does HD 4570 differ from NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS? There is another Vaio with C2D P8600 2.40Ghz, GeForce 9300M GS but without Vista 64 bit and only 4GB max SDRAM, lurking at the corner with a bit higher price.

Hope you guys could shed a light on my many questions.

Thanks in advance!!!
Peter

*model numbering might vary from region, and there is no nw17gj at newegg, but the above specs is the available one in my region

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom