USB Booting Crunchbang on Acer c720?

CommanderLiamTHX

In Runtime
Hi, I'm using an Acer C720 Chromebook I got for Christmas, and it's working well for my needs, except for a couple things:
1. Animating Programs
2. gedit and other programming tools
So I was wondering if I could keep Chrome OS but use a USB thumbdrive with #! Linux to boot off of when I needed it. I looked it up, but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone know how to do this (if it's possible?)

The link I posted is for how to set up the persistent USB. Booting off of USB will depend on your system... Since I don't know much about Chromebooks, I don't know if they can boot off of USB (I'm assuming they can).

If the Chromebook can boot off of USB, then it should be fine to make the persistent USB install, and then boot off of it from the Chromebook.

From what I read, jailbreaking a Chromebook requires developer boot, which wipes all data on the system.

Surprising that you need developer mode just to boot off of USB... are you sure you need to enable Developer Mode to boot off of USB?

I recently found out that a persistent boot makes the OS much slower, so I think I'll just back up my data (most is on the cloud anyway) and install CrunchBang or Ubuntu or something.

I recently found out that a persistent boot makes the OS much slower, so I think I'll just back up my data (most is on the cloud anyway) and install CrunchBang or Ubuntu or something.

The OS on the USB? Depends... it reads/writes to the same drive/partition (unless you partition off the USB), and it depends on the read/write of the flash drive as well as if you're using USB2.0 vs 3.0.

The OS on the USB? Depends... it reads/writes to the same drive/partition (unless you partition off the USB), and it depends on the read/write of the flash drive as well as if you're using USB2.0 vs 3.0.

I suppose the USB 3.0 would work, but I think I should do something like Chrubuntu, because instead of rebooting, then booting off of a flash drive, Chrubuntu uses a key combination to switch between OSes easily.

Back
Top Bottom