Upgrading to a SSD HD on an Older inspiron

hesson81

Baseband Member
Hello. I haven't done any upgrades or builds in a while. I have a dell Inspiron N4010. I'm currently waiting for a Windows disk to arrive so that I can reformat this bad boy. Running so slow. But I also Wondered. Hmm, Maybe I can install a SSD drive and put the OS on that. I don't really need the 320 GB HD it has now. I want boot up performance. Not storage.

Question (bare with me, I have been out of the game for a while). I'm positive this is a SATA (not II Or III, just SATA) HD.

question: can I put a SATA II or SATA III HD in here?? Also, if I can, will I receive the full capabilities of that Drive. I'm noticing I may run into an issue finding SATA SSD's any way. I don't want to get a SATA III if I can't utilize the perf specs. I would just get a SATA II (if compatible)..

I'm trying to keep this project as cost effective as possible. I'm not much of a Gamer anymore, and most of What I do is on Tablets these days anyway.

Thanks for all your Help.

You should be able to install any SATA drive in there but if the controller is older and only supports SATA and you install a SATA III drive, then the it will perform at a SATA level and not a SATA III level.

An SATA SSD will still boot faster than a spinner hdd so you'll still see a gain there but it won't perform as fast as it could with a newer SATA controller.

Last edited:
Thanks strollin, that answers my question perfectly.

I think I'm going to just go with a SATA II and call it a day. As SATA SSDs are hard to find it appears.

You should have no problem with any sata drive so don't even stress it. And if you plan to upgrade in the next few years I'd even get a III some nice it's future proofing.

Back
Top Bottom