Upgrading RAM on my HP Probook 6570b, yay or nay? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Upgrading RAM on my HP Probook 6570b, yay or nay?

At the end of last summer I picked up a used HP Probook 6570b off of craigslist that I can safely say I am already quite happy with for my on the go needs.
It originally came with 4 Gigs of ram that i was able top take up to 6 thanks to having a spare DDR3L stick I had from another HP laptop that died on me last year.
I gave her a crucial 250GB MX 500 SSD as well so its not like I was tossing a lot of money at it.
Aside from me giving it a hinge mod as that the original owner said was a issue for it another $5 for some nuts and screws its a rather nice laptop for its age.
But i am considering upping its ram, going the full 16 gigs it is capable of taking seems a bit silly but maybe 8 gigs is in its future as that gives me some breathing room playing some games on its integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics.
Now I know I this will not run too many games however I know it can play some of my older games and is a rather nice emulation machine.
The debate is well... should i? 2 extra gigs doesn't seem like a lot yes but it really cant hurt.
16 gig kits for this laptop are a bit on the high side.
Maybe i will just get a single stick of 8 gigs and pair that with the 4 gig RAM making a grand total of 12 a nice in between and suitable for the age of the machine.
But what are your thoughts?
The laptop already performs nicely for its age, but i do think maybe giving it some help is not a bad idea and considering the entire machine is modular gives it a long life bonus