Upgrading my ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I currently have 2gb of ddr2-667 installed in my laptop (but due to the cpu I have, fsb is at 533) so my ram is downclocked to ddr2-533. I am trying to decide whether or not to upgrade my ram.

I have the GL960 (NOT THE GM965) so even tho the laptop could physically take 8gb, im pretty sure the chipset can only allocate 3gb, and I don't have the money to blow to try out 4gb.

My current ram is running in ddr mode (two identical chips), so here is my question:

Versus my current 2gb of ddr2-533 ram, if I were to upgrade to a NON MATCHING SET (thus losing the double data rate) from 2gb to 3gb, would there be a noticable performance increase? I guess cut my max ran transfer speed by 50% but add 50% more ram. Would the performance of my system increase, or take a hit?

Also, does anyone know where I can get a cheap Socket P (intel dual core, perferably core series, t5250, 5450, 5550, 7250, etc) ? all of the Socket P processors have the same TDP, so heat is not an issue. My current cpu (pentium dual core) has been noted to run hotter than a t7250, idling at 50c while the 7250 would idle at 40 in the same laptop)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom