upgrading graphics card for dell d620 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default upgrading graphics card for dell d620

I got a refurbished latitude d620 and now I just want to upgrade the card the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 to the 256MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 110M TurboCacheTM

Latitude D620 Product Details

I know the Quadro isn't for gaming- I want to do engineering simulations...

I searched the Dell website along with the Nvidia site and all the major e-tailers (Newegg, tigerdirect, buy.com,etc.) but I can't find one. They came out just 3 years ago so i should be able to buy the thing somewhere.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: upgrading graphics card for dell d620

Pretty sure the Quadro they mention there is for when you customize a new one...

Also, this should probably be in the Laptop Section.

thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Old 05-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaricloud View Post
Pretty sure the Quadro they mention there is for when you customize a new one....
They sold some d620s with the Quadro.

Quote:
Also, this should probably be in the Laptop Section.
Well, laptops are pretty generic now, and this is a buying and upgrading forum...
Old 05-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
They sold some d620s with the Quadro.
That's what I just said...when you customize a new one, you can pick between the intel and quadro graphics. So, obviously, some d620s were sold with the Quadro.

What I am saying is you really can't replace the intel graphics in there without basically performing the equivalent of open heart surgery on your laptop. And that's assuming you can find the graphics card you want, which you obviously can't.

Quote:
Well, laptops are pretty generic now, and this is a buying and upgrading forum...
Laptops are still laptops, and there is a laptop section. That was my point.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Ask and ye shall receive Hikaricloud.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 05-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaricloud View Post
That's what I just said...when you customize a new one, you can pick between the intel and quadro graphics. So, obviously, some d620s were sold with the Quadro.

What I am saying is you really can't replace the intel graphics in there without basically performing the equivalent of open heart surgery on your laptop. And that's assuming you can find the graphics card you want, which you obviously can't.
Why would the option of customizing a new one have any bearing on the current availability of either? Anyways, I know they are sold separately, and can be installed without destroying the laptop- I read somewhere else (forgot where) about a guy doing it. Buy.com had many Quadros for sale- just not this particular one. I can't find it and you can't- but I thought someone here with more online buying experience could without much trouble. Perhaps I was wrong.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I'm not going to explain why the customizing a new one had any "bearing" on the topic. I shouldn't have to.

If you can't find the exact model, then there's probably a reason. I would find out if those other quadros are supported or not, and then mutilate your laptop. You could probably get something better then the 110 you're looking for.

What are your specific specs anyway? You should probably save the money on buying a new gpu and just get a better laptop. You may have read that you can do it, and you would be right to think that it's possible, but that doesn't make it easy. It's ridiculously hard.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

Hello,

As already mentioned, this is likely not possible to do.

You'd need to purchase a system board with Nvidia graphics (you can find some on eBay), but even then, they are expensive, and there's no guarantee that it will be compatible with your current d620's case, cooling assembly, or other existing hardware for that matter.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 05-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

It's possible, just not very feasible, or a smart idea.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

OK, I agree it's not worth it. I'm open to suggestions for a laptop in the $6-700 range that would be good for doing engineering simulations.

Closed Thread