upgrading graphics card for dell d620

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

In Runtime
I got a refurbished latitude d620 and now I just want to upgrade the card the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 to the 256MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 110M TurboCacheTM

Latitude D620 Product Details

I know the Quadro isn't for gaming- I want to do engineering simulations...

I searched the Dell website along with the Nvidia site and all the major e-tailers (Newegg, tigerdirect, buy.com,etc.) but I can't find one. They came out just 3 years ago so i should be able to buy the thing somewhere.

Pretty sure the Quadro they mention there is for when you customize a new one...

Also, this should probably be in the Laptop Section.

They sold some d620s with the Quadro.

That's what I just said...when you customize a new one, you can pick between the intel and quadro graphics. So, obviously, some d620s were sold with the Quadro.

What I am saying is you really can't replace the intel graphics in there without basically performing the equivalent of open heart surgery on your laptop. And that's assuming you can find the graphics card you want, which you obviously can't.

Well, laptops are pretty generic now, and this is a buying and upgrading forum...

Laptops are still laptops, and there is a laptop section. That was my point.

That's what I just said...when you customize a new one, you can pick between the intel and quadro graphics. So, obviously, some d620s were sold with the Quadro.

What I am saying is you really can't replace the intel graphics in there without basically performing the equivalent of open heart surgery on your laptop. And that's assuming you can find the graphics card you want, which you obviously can't.

Why would the option of customizing a new one have any bearing on the current availability of either? Anyways, I know they are sold separately, and can be installed without destroying the laptop- I read somewhere else (forgot where) about a guy doing it. Buy.com had many Quadros for sale- just not this particular one. I can't find it and you can't- but I thought someone here with more online buying experience could without much trouble. Perhaps I was wrong.

I'm not going to explain why the customizing a new one had any "bearing" on the topic. I shouldn't have to.

If you can't find the exact model, then there's probably a reason. I would find out if those other quadros are supported or not, and then mutilate your laptop. You could probably get something better then the 110 you're looking for.

What are your specific specs anyway? You should probably save the money on buying a new gpu and just get a better laptop. You may have read that you can do it, and you would be right to think that it's possible, but that doesn't make it easy. It's ridiculously hard.

Hello,

As already mentioned, this is likely not possible to do.

You'd need to purchase a system board with Nvidia graphics (you can find some on eBay), but even then, they are expensive, and there's no guarantee that it will be compatible with your current d620's case, cooling assembly, or other existing hardware for that matter.

OK, I agree it's not worth it. I'm open to suggestions for a laptop in the $6-700 range that would be good for doing engineering simulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom