Upgrade or dump HP G-Series G62-144DX (WA912UA) Laptop

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
This is the wife's older laptop which is failing= running really slow, etc.

USES = Web surfing, Quickbooks, email, etc. NO gaming although a possible movie will be watched when traveling.

I have replaced battery once 2 years ago - again it is failing to hold charge for more than 10 minutes. Do not want to purchase new battery if performance cannot be improved.

Has original RAM - so thought upgrade of RAM ( original 4 to upgraded 8 GB) may improve performance.

HP scan says this will work: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GRSL - Newegg.com

I have already cleaned it up as much as possible - all drivers are updated, ran AVAST scan, and Malware-bytes in both regular and safe mode.

Suggestions and opinions welcomed - Thanks

Or is it too old and just trash it as upgraded RAM= $80, new battery = $65 = $165 investment in a 6 year old laptop.

So, should I take the cash and buy a new laptop or upgrade? I am willing to spend $400 - $450 ( really only about $235-285 more than the upgrade cost) for new laptop - but it has to outperform the old laptop with the upgraded RAM with a new battery for $165 investment.

Thanks Again,

Getting an SSD would benefit loads just by itself.

But, depends on how much storage she would want/need and how much you're willing to put into the laptop.

New battery + SSD would probably help more than battery + RAM upgrade, and be about the same cost (depending on the size of SSD).

hmmm... never even though of that option. So you think the performance issue is from the harddrive? Even though the hard drive has 364 GB free space? Did not know you could add a SD to this laptop - that SD drive would help performance of surfing the web?

Ok found a laptop in my price range :

http://www.amazon.com/HP-2000-2d89n...p/B00HKF1I6S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

So, you think the old laptop with the SSD ( costs= ??) and a new battery will perform as well as the new Laptop linked?

Last edited:
A computer is only as fast as it's fastest storage drive I say these days. The i3 HP will seem faster with an SSD than the newer i5 with a HDD. Not to mention an SSD consumes less power than a HDD, and the newer laptop comes with a faster HDD which will consume more power than the 5400RPM in the current HP. I think a Kingston SSDNow and battery would be WAY cheaper than a new laptop.

Btw, for basic tasks 4GB is plenty of RAM. I have 4GB in my i7 gaming laptop too.

ok very good, never thought the issue is the HDD. Just shopping fro that laptop this thing froze twice - using Firefox with adblock and no pop ups- so figured it was the CPU or the RAM. How difficult is it to install and SD in a laptop? Please link a SD that would work. Do you load windows on the SD and then use the installed HD for storage only or backup?

UPdate : ah ha - you replace the HD with an SD after cloning the data to an external drive first- then load data onto the newly installed SD.

Last edited:
Not to be technical or anything, but SSD. Two S. SD would be like an SD card you put in your phone so when I'm reading this it's pretty confusing.

There is an area on the bottom of the laptop you'll be able to remove. Should be one for RAM and one for HDD. Remove the old mechanical HDD and simply replace it with the SSD. Clone the HDD to the SSD using your PC for best results.

Very good. So, any SSD will work then?

Maybe this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148821

how about this as well:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817155602

OK - additional searching has found these at Amazon =

Crucial mx100 512 GB SSD = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFAGCUM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Crucial Clone/ HHD converter = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CI8MT9W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And this new Battery= http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007N00BQ8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AS8PCMKEL4RLT

Total = about $260 including the free shipping.

I figure even if the laptop kicks I can use everything except the battery in my Desktop.

Last edited:
Couple questions. Why do you want to put an expensive 512GB SSD in an internet box, and why the clone kit? Just hook them up to your PC and use Acronis or Clonezilla. Saves you some cash.

Not real sure what the Apricorn device is for either. You want to make her current HDD an external? If so, I would get at least a Vantec or Icy Dock.

Never heard of Acronis or Clonezilla- so if that is an option - sure. Saves me the cloning device costs.

I am not sure a smaller SSD will work and wanted one that was good. Probably the 256 GB will be fine. IF you have a better idea - please link it - as I asked previously.

The Aprocorn device was to clone the HHD ( 1 option before finding the other one on amazon) - so if I can do that using clonzilla software and my PC - then no use for it. I just don't know how to do that yet.

No, I do not want to use her current HHD for anything - especially if that is the reason the laptop is failing . I figured also - that if the laptop has other issues and I purchase a good SSD - but it turns out that I need to buy a new laptop anyhow- I then have a good SSD to put into my PC.

Sorry, if your getting frustrated with my ignorance. I am just a middle aged healthcare professional who is learning as he goes. NO tech education what-so-ever. So, software stuff is my weakest area. Since being on this site I can, and have, built PC's, reformatted hard drives, etc. so with all your help have learned a lot- but obviously still pretty newbie.

Last edited:
Sorry man I just thought that with how much Carnage and I talk about Clonezilla you would have known.

Well a 120GB one would be perfectly fine for an internet box but if it's an excuse to grab one for your PC then by all means :p

The HDD may or may not be the issue. If it's dying sure, but if it's not it would make a decent storage drive in an external enclosure.

No frustration, was just kinda :confused: at some selections.

Back
Top Bottom