Updating laptop graphic chip

JorgeMBarbosa

Beta member
Hello everyone,
i have a question to make i hope you guys can help me.
So i have a Toshiba Satellite L50-A-1CU with a graphic card Nvidia Gt740m, from what i know that chip is an GK107 chip and manufactured in 28 nm, so my question is, can i upgrade my laptop with a Gtx 960 with a GM107 chip same 28nm ?
i know that type os chip are soldered do the board but im about to send it to a Computer shop where can make Reball processing, like removing the old chip and put in some new one with the Workstation,
can my motherboard accept the GM107 chip?
Hope someone can help about that.
Thank you

Best regards.

Jorge

If you take it to them and they do that not only are they scumbags but you're ruining a laptop. Assuming they didn't damage the board and components actually getting the new chip the likelihood of it working is about -10% chance due to bios limitations in laptops.

So, actually they said they can do the job, it costs 120€, but I did not tell them what chip I wanted to change for mine, I'm trying to know if it is possible to make some upgrade, so far I know the same chip as mine only goes to Nvidia gt755m, gk107, but I really to do some better upgrade, that's why I asked about that chip of GTX960m.
You think that is not possible at all to make any changes on bga chip and make that works fine?
Thank you so much

They won't provide a bios for the laptop, and actually if you called them up asking for one saying you soldered a new chip on the board they'd probably laugh. Even most laptops with MXM slots can't be upgraded due to bios support.

Oh god I'm getting little sad right now, because I really thought that can be possible to do, because are so many diy videos on YouTube and so many chips bga for selling on eBay for example, and than when I called to the Chip7 ( pc store) and they said me that can be done I really hoped to upgrade my laptop, once my CPU can be upgraded.
So you think it's better for me to forget this right?
Out of question at all?
Thank you for patience

If this was my laptop I had laying around I'd do it for ****s and giggles, but I'm assuming this is your main device so no I can't recommend doing it. All the chips on Ebay are salvaged out of machines that were damaged so repair shops have some sort of stock to use to replace a chip that has been damaged. The thing about laptops is the board bios has to support the GPU and if the machine is UEFI they both have to be compatible. Not to mention not all chips are created equal. The pin layout for the 960m can be different than the previous GPU as in to memory and power. After soldering it on you could essentially fry the whole thing. I would only risk it if the shop will warranty everything so if it doesn't work they fix it.

To give an example I have a Qosmio X505 with an i7 I'd love to put a GPU in. I don't really care about it that much but knowing what I know it's not worth my couple hundred bucks to blow just to try it out.

Last edited:
Okay, i got it , i will talk with them first at the shop to put that question and all of the problems that they can face with and wait for what they tell me, thanks a lot for you explanation and patience one more time.

Back
Top Bottom