Unresponsive touchpad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schecters

In Runtime
Hi all, I have a laptop question.

My girlfriend's laptop touchpad has stopped responding completely, even if you reboot. The little synaptic icon on the system tray still shows up, but doesn't show any movement/touch from the touchpad. She wasn't too clear about when it stopped working, but she got some kind of message before it stopped, from avg apparently. Right now she's using a usb mouse.

I haven't actually tinkered around or looked for any solutions yet, but I was wondering if this is a common problem or if it's simple to fix. Maybe reinstalling synaptic? Anyone ever deal with this?

(I'm assuming that the touchpad isn't dead)

hmm, go into hardware profiles (device manager), and see the touchpad listed there (if listed then with exclamation marks).

try removing it, and then right click computer name, and click scan for hardware changes. the possibility is, the driver got corrupted, usually a hardware scan fixes the problems. what make it is btw?

It is an Acer 5100.

I uninstalled the synaptic pointing device multiple times. The first time, I unplugged the wireless mouse. Right after windows logged on (after uninstall reboot) I tried moving around, and it worked for about 10 seconds. Then the little tray icon froze while showing pointer movement. Reinstalls aren't doing anything. Any other ideas?

This use to happen on my Dell Inspiron 8100, I would un hook the Touchpad connector from the MB and restart it with it unhooked, Shut it down, Restart it, Shut it down, Hook it up again and then restart and it would work. If I tried it any other way it wouldnt work. I dunno if your comfortable with taking it apart but you might wanna try that.

So I feel like an idiot.

I don't own a laptop and never have. I didn't know there was an fn key, or that you could completely disable the touchpad with a fn+F* key combo. Haha I googled it really quick after taking apart her laptop and found that out. Her cat must have done that while it was warming itself up :)

It doesn't help that there's nothing to let you know you've disabled the freakin touchpad. But thanks for your guy's suggestions anyway!

At least it was an easy fix. I have only ever owned laptops and I didnt even know that Fn-f thing. Nice to know though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom