Unmountable boot volume - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks

Old 10-12-2016, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Unmountable boot volume

K my problem is I have a spos HP laptop. I'm getting a hard drive short DST failed code. I went and got a Microsoft media creation tool on the USB but it doesn't do anything but I really need to know if this is fixable. The hard drive light stays on continuously. If anyone knows anything and
anybody can help please let me know.

Artsy Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Unmountable boot volume

Can you hear any clicking or any noises from the drive when it attempts to read it?

If you're getting the failed code...then I'd say it's toast.

Are there files that you're wanting to recover, or are you just wanting to reinstall Windows? If the latter..then you'll just need to buy a new drive and install Windows on the new one again.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Can you hear any clicking or any noises from the drive when it attempts to read it?

If you're getting the failed code...then I'd say it's toast.

Are there files that you're wanting to recover, or are you just wanting to reinstall Windows? If the latter..then you'll just need to buy a new drive and install Windows on the new one again.
If I have to buy a new drive would I need to buy a new OS? The drive doesn't make any noise, just the activity led is constantly on.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

No you wouldn't need to buy a new OS, just a new hard drive - or ssd would be even better actually.
But yes, agreed your hard drive is pretty much dead. Stop using it asap if you've got any data you want to get off it, get the new hdd/ssd and reinstall your OS (what OS do you have btw?)
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
No you wouldn't need to buy a new OS, just a new hard drive - or ssd would be even better actually.
But yes, agreed your hard drive is pretty much dead. Stop using it asap if you've got any data you want to get off it, get the new hdd/ssd and reinstall your OS (what OS do you have btw?)
I have windows 10.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Cool, that'll be easy to reinstall then
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
Cool, that'll be easy to reinstall then
Once I have the new hard drive how do I go about getting my OS on it?
Old 10-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsy Husky View Post
Once I have the new hard drive how do I go about getting my OS on it?
You used the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft already to make a bootable flash drive, right?

You'll just install the new hard drive, and then boot off of the flash drive and go through the installation steps for Windows. You can skip the step to enter in a license key, because once connected to the internet it should automatically activate for you (since you already had it activated once).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 10-13-2016, 07:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
You used the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft already to make a bootable flash drive, right?

You'll just install the new hard drive, and then boot off of the flash drive and go through the installation steps for Windows. You can skip the step to enter in a license key, because once connected to the internet it should automatically activate for you (since you already had it activated once).
I have the media creation tool already I just need to get the hard drive and then I'll be good.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsy Husky View Post
I have the media creation tool already I just need to get the hard drive and then I'll be good.
Yup, exactly.

Though, like Soul mentioned, I'd opt for an SSD if you can. Samsung 850 EVO's are quite nice and decently priced.