Trying to take data from old laptop hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

nidreu

Solid State Member
Hi guys, not sure if this is the right forum, sorry if its not.

I have an old laptop that doesnt work, but I want to recover the data from the harddrive. I tried ordering a sabrent USB to SATA/IDE adapter, but it doesnt fit my laptop serial ata hard drive. I've made this task a lot harder then it needed to be, but I can't figure out what part I need in order to make this work. Below is an image of the back of the hard drive. Let me know if there are any other things I should include.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/4181/313g.jpg

thanks for any help

A lot of lappys use an adapter to hook up the hard drive to the laptop itself. Make sure you don't have one still on the drive. I know because I have had to deal with them before. :D

I prefer to use an external dock for things like this. Here's a couple of good ones.

Newegg.com - XION XON-SAHDCB-USB 3.5" & 2.5" USB 2.0 SATA HDD to USB 2.0 Dock Station - External Enclosures
$25 + shipping

Newegg.com - Thermaltake BlacX N0028USU External Hard Drive SATA Enclosure Docking Station 2.5" & 3.5" USB 2.0 - External Enclosures
$37 w/free shipping

I have a BlacX-SE and I love it.

Im not sure if I had an adapter, I just opened up the laptop and took it out. I took a picture of the back of it, does it look like it used an adapter? Or is it impossible to tell from the picture? I don't have the laptop at my house anymore, so I can't check it. But I can tell you it was an HP dv2000 or something close to that.

Thanks for the help so far. :)

Here's an example of an adapter (there are many kinds).

264426293_o.jpg

SKU_1655_Dell_IDE_Connector_PB.JPG

[EDIT] Hmmmm... looking at your pic it looks like it doesn't have an adapter after all. The Sabrent USB to SATA/IDE adapter looks like it is for desktop drives, though, not laptop drives.

Both of those docks will handle 2.5" and 3.5" drives (laptop and desktop).

Yes, it would work for you. Plus it will let you make any SATA drive an external drive, and you can just pop a drive out and put it on a shelf and drop another one it.

thank you, youre my hero. I repped you, but I don't see it doing much good.

thanks again! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom