Trying to brew up an idea for a new laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I was lucky enough to get one of these CR-48 laptops. After putting Ubuntu on it, I had the perfect laptop for me. Substantially long battery life, Linux, solid state drive (albeit, a small one @ 16gb), etc.

However, I've been having issues with it. I've always had issues with Chrome OS but excused it for being beta software. Three Linux OS's later, it's definitely hardware. I bought a new (and much faster) SSD to replace the old one, but I'm skeptical. I think it's the motherboard.

Anyway, I'm looking for a laptop. My requirements aren't too crazy.

Required:
Intel Atom Dual Core (or something comparable by AMD)
Decent battery life (5 hours or more)
11-12" screen

Preferred, but not required:
Solid state drive (even if it's a small one)
Wireless N (I have a spare PCIE ABGN card if need be)

The best thing I can find is an official release of the new ChromeBook, known as the Acer AC700.

Amazon.com: Acer AC700 Chromebook (Wi-Fi): Computer & Accessories

350 bucks. It's basically like the CR-48, except a dual core instead of a single core and 2 USB ports instead of 1. It also has HDMI out, and... a warranty!

I thought about buying a used CR-48 on Ebay and just using that, but they're going for 200-300. I have a hard time spending that much money on a used piece of hardware that was sent out in a beta test drive. If it was 100 or 125, I'd be all over it. But I use the laptop a lot, and it sucks having to constantly have power/boot issues with it (it loses connection with the hard drive in mid use). For all I know, my replacement drive I have coming in will fix it. But if it doesn't, I want to have other alternatives on the table for a replacement.

Any additional thoughts or ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom