Trouble with connecting external monitor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyGrove

Solid State Member
Hey guys! I have an HP Pavilion laptop, and I decided to try to hook up my Acer AE1946w monitor to it. It seems to work fine except for the screen is doing some rapid line flickering. Changing the screen refresh rate doesn't do anything, and I've already updated my drivers but to no avail. I believe my graphics card is some cheap Intel that came with the laptop... am I going to have to buy a new graphics card, or do you guys have any suggestions that would save me that cash?

Thank you!!!

make sure the connections are secure and are not moving. Does your laptop monitor do it as well when it happens? or just the secondary screen?

It's just the secondary screen.

The connection isn't really too secure, but it's as secure as it can be. There's just a port on the side of my laptop that I plug the monitor into. I can't screw the cable in like I could with a PC because there are no holes for the monitor screws.

:( Thanks for your help though...

what about ur temperatures at the time this happens? it unlikely that it would only effect on screen but it's possible.

do u have another monitor you can try? or another computer that you can try this monitor on?

1) DVI or VGA? Since you mentioned screw connectors not being there, I'm assuming VGA (my dv9700t doesn't have them either). Try turning the monitor off and back on. If that doesn't work, try reconnecting it. Also try changing display settings, setting it as the primary monitor, setting it as the only monitor, etc.

2) You can't upgrade the graphics card in a laptop. Laptops have no miniature PCIe slot equivalent for the graphics card, the chip is just built into the motherboard, along with the CPU, RAM slots, networking hardware, sound, keyboard/mouse controller, and everything else. This is why you should always make the jump and pay the extra money for the nicer graphics card when you buy the laptop, as you can't upgrade that part later (RAM and hard drive, on the other hand, are easily replaceable, so don't make these a priority when buying a new laptop, you can always buy more RAM or a bigger HDD on Newegg).

Hi! I kinda have the same problem. I have an HP pavilion dv2000 running vista. I searched the net for possible solutions, some thinks it is because it is vista and that vista still have a lot of incompatibilities. I am using an S-video to rca on my Sony Wega and what I'm getting is just a black screen with flickering lines.

Are you running vista? have you tried another monitor?

There is another hp user who has similar problem using 2 monitors, works on one but the other doesn't. But he/she was able to find a work around.

Here's the link:

Weird problem with using S-video out to TV on my DV2000 - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion

^i highly doubt that, because i have the same laptop, with vista home P and i have no problem with hooking up a second monitor, with either type of connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom