Transfer HDD from laptop to empty laptop - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2016, 08:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Transfer HDD from laptop to empty laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty is a Snowman View Post
You can't transfer the licence, soblegally you can't do this.

But yes you can swap out hard drives, I have never encountered an issue since windows 7 was released.
I just make sure all the manufacturers drivers are removed before placing it in another computer.

yeah if you sysprep it, but I didnt want to get to technical

plus its always best to do a fresh install and restore data from backup.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Transfer HDD from laptop to empty laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty is a Snowman View Post
You can't transfer the licence, soblegally you can't do this.

But yes you can swap out hard drives, I have never encountered an issue since windows 7 was released.
I just make sure all the manufacturers drivers are removed before placing it in another computer.
You have about a 50/50 shot with Win7 and up, I've found. Usually I've only been able to get a direct swap working only with Win7 Pro for some reason... Home or Enterprise? Nope - never would work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulezero View Post
yeah if you sysprep it, but I didnt want to get to technical
Even with a sysprep I've tried it and it still BSOD'd at startup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinetopRoss View Post
OK,thanks.What I wanted to do is put her HDD into my HP laptop as the HP is a lot better than hers and I would give mine to her.O well,was a thought.She may buy a new HDD for mine and I would put 7 on it and then do the upgrade to 10,as normal.Thanks for all your replies guys.
Well you can wipe the HDD before putting it in the HP, and then use the key from the HP system to install Win7 and then do the upgrade to Win10. Then you'll be all nice and legal. That or like you said, buy a new HDD and install 7 / upgrade to 10.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote