Toshiba Tecra S1: Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I did download Keyfinder 2.1 (Magical Jelly Beans). What a great, nifty utility. Right now I will attempt other HD diagnostic utilities because I need to determine if this is or is not HD related.

KurrentEweser, I'll go ahead and try the canned air.

Sounds like a good plan.

Okay, Seagate Tools worked with my harddrive and the HD passed both S.M.A.R.T. and Long Tests. No errors were recorded.

This utility also monitored the harddrive temp. and while running the test it read it at 106F and sitting idle at 102.

Also, I used canned air on the fan ports and fans. I'll try the Everest Home Edition to test other temperatures.

Then I wouldn't suspect a heating problem then.

I was afraid you were going to say that; with my particular error and since it isn't heating or the haddrive, do you have any other suggestions that I might try to find the cause?

Edit Update: I researched further and this may be the answer to my 0x7E error. As I said previously I had walked away and when I came back the Blue Screen was there. This laptop goes into standby/hibernation quickly and I did have my USB portable mouse adapter in when it attempted to standby/hibernate:

Error message after you wake a Windows XP-based computer from standby or from hibernation: "Stop 0x0000007E SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED"

After you wake a Windows XP-based computer from standby or from hibernation, you may receive the following error message:

Stop 0x0000007E (c0000005, Parameter2, Parameter3, Parameter4)
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

This problem occurs if you remove a USB device when the computer is on standby or in hibernation.

With my experience with all my Toshiba Satellites is Toshiba doesn't use Windows power management. They use their own proprietary software. My guess is when you applied SP2 the Toshiba drivers got overwritten. I suggest reinstalling the latest power saver utility.

With my experience with all my Toshiba Satellites is Toshiba doesn't use Windows power management. They use their own proprietary software. My guess is when you applied SP2 the Toshiba drivers got overwritten. I suggest reinstalling the latest power saver utility.

What you say also makes sense. One of the things cited for this error was the upgrading of XP and I had recently upgraded to Service Pack 2 as you rightly note. I'll see if Toshiba still provides the power saver utility for my model.

Thanks for the suggestion.

So far the laptop is running stable. I haven't purchased a new harddrive yet, but I do want to upgrade my memory this week which brings me to the point of this follow-up post.

Presently this laptop has 512 megs of DDR PC2100. The motherboard is designed for a maximum of 2 gigs and I can either install PC2100 266 or PC2700 333. Crucial's memory configuration says it definitely can take PC2700. Kingston's configuration said that though I can install the PC2700 it will only run at 266 regardless of what I install. To quote Kingston, "266 and 333 are both supported for this system, and can be mixed, but will only run at 266MHz no matter what is installed." The thing is I haven't found this information anywhere else. I have done quite a bit of searching, including Toshiba's own website that is definitely not user friendly, but I can't find what I am looking for in that did the later revisions and BIOS enable PC2700 to run at its full potential.

Right now I can get both PC2100 and 2700 at the same price. In your opinion, should I go ahead and install the PC2700 or stick with PC2100? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom