Toshiba Satellite TouchPad not working

bL4cKh4T

Baseband Member
To start off, I seen another thread about the TouchPad not working but this is a slightly different situation.. First off, it's a really new computer and I'm dual booting windows 10 and linux. Anyways, the TouchPad only works in windows but it randomly stops working every once in a while and I have to go into the mouse settings and re-enable it but what I thought was really weird is that when I go to the efi firmware settings, it doesn't work either.. The mouse cursor is stuck on the left side of the screen and i have to use the keyboard to navigate, even a Bluetooth mouse won't work there.. That tells me that is not a windows issue but that also tells me that is not a hardware issue either because it works in windows when i enable it in the settings.. I also have to use the bluetooth mouse for linux as it doesn't work at all.. I'm not a noob by no means, i fix pc's for a living and i usually have some kind of idea on how to fix issues but this one, i have no idea.. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-M919N using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The model is a Toshiba Satelite s55-b5280 and it's not a driver issue because it doesn't work in linux or the efi setup and i tried to plug my usb mouse in a different spot and then unplugging all together... I even turned off the pc then unplugged the mouse and turned it back on with no luck. When I get to the efi setup, the TouchPad doesn't work at all but the bluetooth mouse will work but when i move the mouse, the cursor keeps going back to the left side of the screen

The model is a Toshiba Satelite s55-b5280 and it's not a driver issue because it doesn't work in linux or the efi setup and i tried to plug my usb mouse in a different spot and then unplugging all together... I even turned off the pc then unplugged the mouse and turned it back on with no luck. When I get to the efi setup, the TouchPad doesn't work at all but the bluetooth mouse will work but when i move the mouse, the cursor keeps going back to the left side of the screen

I've had these issues before, Its upto you, but I suggest you try uninstall the touchpad driver and install the new one from here:
Satellite S55-B5280 Support | Toshiba

Boot into safe mode in windows 10, try and use the mouse, if it works follow the step above please.

Lets just rule out the driver first, even if you 100% believe its not the issue, lets just prove the theory. :cool:

I've had these issues before, Its upto you, but I suggest you try uninstall the touchpad driver and install the new one from here:
Satellite S55-B5280 Support | Toshiba

Boot into safe mode in windows 10, try and use the mouse, if it works follow the step above please.

Lets just rule out the driver first, even if you 100% believe its not the issue, lets just prove the theory. :cool:

yes, i agree. the touchpad always worked in windows, it just randomly disables sometimes but it doesn't work anywhere else but i went ahead and downloaded and installed the driver from toshiba just to say i did so i could rule it out and the touchpad is still not working in the efi setup and in linux like it was but hopefully installing this driver will keep it from randomly disabling from time to time in windows. do you think that resetting the efi settings to factory defaults would work? maybe it's not an OS thing, maybe it's something like that.

Last edited:
yes, i agree. the touchpad always worked in windows, it just randomly disables sometimes but it doesn't work anywhere else but i went ahead and downloaded and installed the driver from toshiba just to say i did so i could rule it out and the touchpad is still not working the efi setup and in linux like it was but hopefully installing this driver will keep it from randomly disabling from time to time in windows. do you think that resetting the efi settings to factory defaults would work? maybe it's not an OS thing, maybe it's something like that.

I guess it wont hurt to reset.. I think you need to try installing a driver for the linux OS also, to rule that out, as they will have different drivers of course.

the weird thing is....i reinstalled the driver to my touchpad and that didn't work but i noticed that the function button wasn't working because you have to press FN and F5 to turn the touchpad on and off and even the other functions wasn't working either like brightness and so on so i went looking through the drivers and I seen a keyboard driver for my model so i installed it and it worked!!! i don't understand how the mouse works in the efi setup after i installed that keyboard driver because it's not windows so i don't know how it's associated.. and it works in linux now as well, i don't know if it's because it works in the efi setup or what...i just don't understand how it's connected because linux and windows are separated by partitions so maybe it's just because it works in the efi setup now is why it works in linux also....i don't know but i'm glad it's working. i also want to say thanks to all of you for the help! this was really stressing me out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom