Toshiba P300 DVD drive issue - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Toshiba P300 DVD drive issue

I've tried searching for this issue but have come up empty, apologies if I've missed it somehow.
A friend has a P300 (Vista Home Premium) with a DS8A4S slimline DVD drive. It plays commercial audio CDs just fine, but does not recognise DVDs at all. By that I mean that when a DVD is put in the drive, it does not show up at all - select the drive and the message comes up "please insert a disc into drive D". Also, when I put a a CD full of MP3s that I'd burned into the drive, "Properties" reported that the disc was empty, when on my own machine (Win7 Pro 64), it correctly shows as full. I also tried a commercially produced MP3 disc, one I bought from, and it played just fine. There are no warnings in Device Manager, selecting Driver Update brings up a message that the driver is already up to date. I was thinking that perhaps it's not a mechanical issue, since it does read and play some discs. Any suggestions will be very gratefully received. Thanks!

Old 12-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Toshiba P300 DVD drive issue

Did you try cleaning out the drive? Old remedy, take a Q-tip and brush it on the laser inside the casing. Normally can reach through CD tray.

If that didn't work, yeah, I'd say the drive is bad. Just get a cheap one off eBay.

__________________ Steam Account
Old 12-18-2011, 04:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Toshiba P300 DVD drive issue

Fantastic, thanks! The cleaning worked fine, it seems.
Closed Thread