Toshiba P300 DVD drive issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartnz

Beta member
I've tried searching for this issue but have come up empty, apologies if I've missed it somehow.
A friend has a P300 (Vista Home Premium) with a DS8A4S slimline DVD drive. It plays commercial audio CDs just fine, but does not recognise DVDs at all. By that I mean that when a DVD is put in the drive, it does not show up at all - select the drive and the message comes up "please insert a disc into drive D". Also, when I put a a CD full of MP3s that I'd burned into the drive, "Properties" reported that the disc was empty, when on my own machine (Win7 Pro 64), it correctly shows as full. I also tried a commercially produced MP3 disc, one I bought from Amazon.com, and it played just fine. There are no warnings in Device Manager, selecting Driver Update brings up a message that the driver is already up to date. I was thinking that perhaps it's not a mechanical issue, since it does read and play some discs. Any suggestions will be very gratefully received. Thanks!

Did you try cleaning out the drive? Old remedy, take a Q-tip and brush it on the laser inside the casing. Normally can reach through CD tray.

If that didn't work, yeah, I'd say the drive is bad. Just get a cheap one off eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom