Toshiba 'BIOS password glitch'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunjo

Daemon Poster
I'm trying to work on someone else's Toshiba Satellite notebook, which has come down with a rather nasty set of malware infections. In order to get through the bootloader, you need to either swipe the biometric reader or enter the BIOS password. There's only one problem... well, two, actually: I can't have the laptop owner hovering over my shoulder for days while I work on it, and she never set a BIOS password -- it set itself, and there's no way to remove it. According to Toshiba, several series of laptops shipped with this BIOS version, that had a strange tendancy to randomly set its own password and lock the users out. They released a BIOS update which supposedly fixes this problem... with one little issue -- it can't be applied to any BIOS that has already had this happen, because you can't get into it and remove the password.

No, the BIOS password is not stored in the BIOS chip, it's in a seperate EEPROM chip on the mainboard, and can't be cleared by cutting CMOS power or moving a jumper. I've seen several tutorials for clearing the BIOS password on these, but they all involve cross-wiring a serial port, of which this model has none, or loading something via a floppy, of which this model also, has none.

Does anyone know another way to bypass and clear the BIOS password on these machines?

There's a BIOS cracker in Hiren BootCD's. You could give those a try. Hiren BootCD's also has some BIOS clearing tools...maybe give those a try? You'll have to talk to Mr. Torrence for a copy of a Hiren BootCD tho =P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom