Too hot to handle! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Exclamation Too hot to handle!

So, I was originally going to build my own PC but then decided that mobility was more for me and settled on the Asus G50vt X-5 which covered everything I was looking for. It was not the highest, but pretty decent for gaming, as well as mobile and not a monster laptop.

So, about a week after my purchase I've only been dissatisfied by two things. First off, I haven't been able to utilize the "turbo extreme" built-in overclocking feature due to heat being an issue. I've decided to splurge for a laptop cooler and was hoping for some suggestions on what might be a reasonable buy that still would cool my laptop significantly. I've seen the "Quadcooler" but haven't really heard any reviews about it. Anyhow, I was hoping to get something well designed and whatnot for around $50.

My second problem is odd and hard to explain. I have a warranty and can easily get it fixed but I figured I'd try on here before resending it to India or wherever it came from. Whenever I touch my laptop (especially on the back of the screen) it makes a noise. The noise sounds as if you're touching a turned on microphone and hearing it out of the speakers. I know this laptop has a built in microphone so I tried adjusting with the settings and disabling the microphone, but I still can hear this noise. It's not a huge issue but if anyone has any suggestions before I go and ask my local computer guy, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for the help/suggestions about both issues.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Too hot to handle!

I would just send it back. If it is new and defective get it fixed for free by the professionals. I mean you are techincally paying for the warranty either explicitely or it is included in the price so why not take advantage? And a lot of warranties say if you have someone else work on it (you included) it voids the warranty - something you DO NOT want to do on a new laptop.

As for a cooling pad i haven't used them before but i've heard they work well. There are two types that i know of. One that has fans on it that help circulate the air, then another that has a gel top that transfers heat through disspitating the heat over a large area. I personally would get the ones with the fans as I would think they cool faster.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Default Re: Too hot to handle!

If you just purchased this notebook, then I would be seeing about DOA policy. Like if one thing is wrong with the laptop, who knows that else is wrong.

Sounds like a friday afternoon build.

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Closed Thread