Thinking of getting a 17 inch laptop for school

mikee

Fully Optimized
I am studying MBA now online while working at the university I go to I am making heavy use of spreadsheets and have a visual disability. My current computer is an HP TS15 from 2013. I do like to game casually at 720p or what ever as long as it doesn't lag. I record the class sessions using OBS which makes the computer lag a fair bit. Honestly I could do without the touch screen too it just gets all greasy from touching and professors end up touching it to show me something not knowing it is touch and messing something up. This is what my specs are now.

AMD A10 5745M, 8GB ram, 1TB 5400rpm HDD, Radeon hd 8610G + 8600M dual graphics.

I do want something 17 inch with a low- mid rage graphics card for the occasional game while I travel home. I also would like it to have easy access to the HDD and ram through the bottom. MY current laptop cannot have the hard drive easily replaced which is annoying. the whole computer has to be torn apart just to get at the HDD.

I would like to spend anywhere from 500-750$ and this is my current idea

Acer Laptop Aspire E E5-774G-570J Intel Core i5 6200U (2.30 GHz) 8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 17.3" Windows 10 Home - Newegg.com

Does this look like a decent laptop? or is there anything better for the money?

I figured the 940MX would fair ok for the occasional game at 720p when I travel. The most demanding game I play is GTAV which I don't mind playing on low at 720p for decent framerate. Visuals don't matter too much I am mainly looking at 17 inch laptops now because of my vision.

I had an Acer 18.4" so I know he love for big screens.

I had to buy an Alienware to get the size.

17 is big enough for me. :) I still want to be able to move around with it not being too heavy. I will have to buy a new laptop backpack to fit the 17 inch but that is no big deal

Acer Aspire series are pretty good, they won't let you down. Alienware is ideal for hardcore gaming, but far from necessary.

Got the laptop today. Pretty nice and can even game a bit. I especially like the matte screen. It seems harder to get laptops now with non reflective screens. I got to say it has a very nice screen too. I just noticed too that the processor is not the i5 6200U its the 7200U. So I don't know what type of performance gain I will get there. It's sort of weird since I thought Kaby lake processors weren't even on the market yet.

Last edited:
Which kind of games do you play or handle with this computer? Could you share the FPS if possible for some games?

I played games like rust, 7 days to die, beamng drive all on medium at 1080p. But it just so happens that today I started running into all sorts of problems with constant BSODs out of nowhere.
see this thread
http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/new-laptop-bsods-278660/

So depending on how this turns out I may be returning it. Just in time for finals and projects being due at the end of next week and it screws me over

Back
Top Bottom