Are these temperatures normal for a laptop? - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #21 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Are these temperatures normal for a laptop?

What program are you using for temp monitoring? What does HWMonitor from cpuid.com show your temps as? Chipsets will get hot, and most "motherboard" temps are the chipset. 70C on a chipset is normal IMO as I have seen them reach upwards of 100C in some machines with no side-effects.

c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #22 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
What program are you using for temp monitoring? What does HWMonitor from cpuid.com show your temps as? Chipsets will get hot, and most "motherboard" temps are the chipset. 70C on a chipset is normal IMO as I have seen them reach upwards of 100C in some machines with no side-effects.
Quote:
For example, using AIDA64, I get a motherboard temp of between 47-52C on idle, and up to 65-70 degreesish when playing call of duty.
Read the post people..

Old 06-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via MSN to Prisonbreak94

Quote:
As tj_extreme said above, read the post I'm using AIDA64! I did try several other different programs so it seems the temps are correct. I got around 74-75C. I'm worried that if I game for a couple of hours on this machine it's going to cause some problems over time..You sure up to 100C is fine? Even 70C sounds very high to me :/

"Be the change you want to see in the world..."
Hot System
Case - Cooler Master RC-690 460W | Mobo - Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 1866MHz | RAM - 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition | GPU - Sapphire HD5850 Toxic | PSU - High Power 650W | HDD - Seagate 500GB 32MB Sata2 7200RPM | OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Monitor - Philips 22'' 220XW8FB
If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the scale under my avatar
Prisonbreak94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #24 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Depends on the chipset honestly, some can handle 100C fine, others might handle 80C. Laptops are built with the idea that heat may be a bit high for a period of time. I certainly wouldn't go at it for hours on end though, even if the chip could handle the heat, the solder may not like it that hot that long.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via MSN to Prisonbreak94

Quote:
Depends on the chipset honestly, some can handle 100C fine, others might handle 80C. Laptops are built with the idea that heat may be a bit high for a period of time. I certainly wouldn't go at it for hours on end though, even if the chip could handle the heat, the solder may not like it that hot that long.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm surprised to hear laptops can handle such high temps. It's been a while since I last used a laptop and I never used one to actually play decent games on, so I didn't know the temps would be so much higher than what one expects on a desktop. I'll keep what you said in mind, and I'll try and not play for more than 1-2 hours at a time ^^

"Be the change you want to see in the world..."
Hot System
Case - Cooler Master RC-690 460W | Mobo - Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 1866MHz | RAM - 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition | GPU - Sapphire HD5850 Toxic | PSU - High Power 650W | HDD - Seagate 500GB 32MB Sata2 7200RPM | OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Monitor - Philips 22'' 220XW8FB
If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the scale under my avatar
Prisonbreak94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #26 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Average laptop dual cores core-temperatures idle around 50s'C (Celsius) which is 122'F. At load core-temps can go up to 70s'C. This is perfectly normal for a laptop. For laptop quad cores, add 10'C to the idle/load temperatures.

Normal temp for a laptop when idle is 40C and when playing games (if you're a gamer) maximum will be 75C depending on the game you are playing. My laptop is a Sony Vaio. So that's how it is for me.
deepu.djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #27 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepu.djp View Post
Normal temp for a laptop when idle is 40C and when playing games (if you're a gamer) maximum will be 75C depending on the game you are playing. My laptop is a Sony Vaio. So that's how it is for me.
You can't say that it's normal for a laptop when you are only using yours as a base line. I have a Compaq here with a low powered CPU that never gets below 55C on the CPU at idle. Every machine is different. BTW, use the edit feature, 1 minute between two posts is ridiculous.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
Junior Techie

The most ideal temperatures for laptop or pc shouldn't exceed 40C. They could also work 50C but will certainly have an impact on the performance of the laptop.
brettbaynaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Please read what Corrosive said above, thank you.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #30 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettbaynaard View Post
The most ideal temperatures for laptop or pc shouldn't exceed 40C. They could also work 50C but will certainly have an impact on the performance of the laptop.
Saying around 40C for a desktop, maybe but you can't just compare laptop temps to desktop temps, laptops run hot.

mac_attack is offline   Reply With Quote