Are these temperatures normal for a laptop?

Prisonbreak94

In Runtime
Hi guys,

I've been using a desktop for several years so I'm not sure what regular temps are like for laptops nowadays. I just got this Samsung NP700Z7C-SO1US, which I am absolutely LOVING so far, and I am wondering what sort of temps are normal for new laptops..For example, using AIDA64, I get a motherboard temp of between 47-52C on idle, and up to 65-70 degreesish when playing call of duty. The CPU goes between 30-40 degrees, and the GPU temps also seem fine. But the motherboard temp seems kinda high to me, what do you guys think? And yes, I am in an airconditioned room :)

It depends on what you have. CPU and GPU. You never specified either.

Laptop CPU have a higher tolerance for heat. But they get hot because of the case. There's not much space to dispate the heat.

Celsius, or Fahrenheit?

Sorry, it's celsius.

Laptop CPU have a higher tolerance for heat. But they get hot because of the case. There's not much space to dispate the heat.

Well, my CPU is Intel Core i7-3615QM 2.3GHz, GPU is NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB DDR5. But the main concern with temps was the mobo temp. Especially when gaming, the motherboard temperature seems to go up to 70C or so..

He specified the model laptop; Google is your friend, MoM.

Sorry, it's celsius.

Well, my CPU is Intel Core i7-3615QM 2.3GHz, GPU is NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB DDR5. But the main concern with temps was the mobo temp. Especially when gaming, the motherboard temperature seems to go up to 70C or so..

IMHO, for that thin laptop 70C is acceptable. Any higher and you may run into some problems.

He specified the model laptop; Google is your friend, MoM.

IMHO, for that thin laptop 70C is acceptable. Any higher and you may run into some problems.

Well, I set AIDA64 to alert me if the mobo temp goes above 70C, and after about 5-10 mins of MW3, it alerted me with 71C. And I'm guessing playing for longer may result in a higher temp. I don't get how the mobo can be 71C, it sounds incredibly high to me. This is a fantastic laptop but it seems heat may be an issue..

Well, I set AIDA64 to alert me if the mobo temp goes above 70C, and after about 5-10 mins of MW3, it alerted me with 71C. And I'm guessing playing for longer may result in a higher temp. I don't get how the mobo can be 71C, it sounds incredibly high to me. This is a fantastic laptop but it seems heat may be an issue..

Because the motherboard is in a tight, confined area with only a few small fans to blow air out; which are situated on the CPU and/or GPU (which put out most of the heat). So the ambient temp of the mobo rises and the hot air has nowhere to go except through the already-warm air vents, which doesn't transfer heat that well.

If you want to lower temps, get a cooling pad for your laptop; you should see at least some drop in temps then.

Because the motherboard is in a tight, confined area with only a few small fans to blow air out; which are situated on the CPU and/or GPU (which put out most of the heat). So the ambient temp of the mobo rises and the hot air has nowhere to go except through the already-warm air vents, which doesn't transfer heat that well.

If you want to lower temps, get a cooling pad for your laptop; you should see at least some drop in temps then.

I actually did get one today, the Newegg.com - Thermaltake Massive23 LX Notebook Cooler Model CLN0015, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference to be honest. I guess the main question is, is 70-75C for the mobo worryingly high?

Back
Top Bottom