Is there a supirior type of RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferg12

Solid State Member
Hello all i have just purchased a dot s2 netbook wich has pre installed RAM of 1gb. I am going to upgaade it but was after a bit of advice i know it is ddr2 and the mobo will take up to 2gb of Soddim. My question is what is the difference between haveing 667MHZ or 800 MHZ and also is there any makes of RAM that i should go for /aviod.
Thanks for your time

All RAM is basically the same these days. Some only cost more because of the name. 667Mhz and 800Mhz is the speed at which the RAM runs.

What exactly are the specs of the netbook? It'd be on the product's website or from store. Otherwise it is in your manual as well. It will say what speed it will take.

If 800: Newegg.com - ADATA 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Laptop Memory Model AD2S800B2G5-R
If 667: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Laptop Memory Model F2-5300CL5S-2GBSQ

I always trust Mushkin myself, I buy quite a lot for the store and I can't be bothered with bad sticks and sticks coming with speeds other than advertised. I have found Mushkin to be the most reliable and the speeds are always what is promised. On the speed thing I am referring to (for example) My Corsair Dominator ddr2 1066 Advertised and labeled 1066 however it is only 800 by default, it requires 2.1v vs the stock 1.8v to run 1066. I have Mushkin 1066 as well that is 1066 @ 1.8 by default with no manual adjustment. This can be a larger issue with a laptop where you can not manually set these things if you get ddr2 800 that runs 667 without manual adjustment.

@ ferg12, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom