Tablet Pen Tech Questions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 01:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to Spade Send a message via Yahoo to Spade
Question Tablet Pen Tech Questions

I didn't know where exactly to put this topic, but I have some questions about Tablet Technology...

I've heard about tablets and i've seen a few at work. Recently I had and idea that involved tablet like technology and so I'd like to know if the following is possible yet with current technology.

1) Is it possible to have a pen with 2 separate clicks? Like a Pencil with an eraser. (Led side = Left click, Eraser side = Right click)

2) Is there a monitor that receives pen clicks alone? Like pointing the pen at the screen and the mouse follows and clicks when poked by the pen but does nothing when touched by a finger or any other object.

3)* Is there a way to run two mice at once? Like on the iPhone where you can use two fingers to zoom in and out.

*I really don't need to know this, I'm just curious.

Thank you for all your help, it's very much appreciated!
--Spade

Old 12-02-2008, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Tablet Pen Tech Questions

1. No. The tablet is only for a input selection. There are menus and that you use to control the other aspects. Like a Right Click. You touch a certain icon or area of the screen to bring up that menu.

2. There are some. But you are kinda wrong with your assumption. You dont jsut point. You actually touch the tablet. It isnt like using a lazer pointer on a white board.

3. This technology is coming along but still to expensive to use on a PC. The Surface from Microsoft is a perfect example of it.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 12-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Send a message via MSN to Oreo

3) The technology is available, as they use it on Apple MacBook touchpads.

1) I doubt it, tablets are touch sensitive, i don't think they know whats touching them, there may be another way around it though with clever programming of the firmware/software for the touch sensitive tablet (May involve a seperate sensor of some sort ?)
Old 12-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Oreo that is different technology. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 that you can multi-touch as well. But once you remove 1 finger the mouse goes to the position of the other finger.

It is not true multi touch on a laptop. Once a finger is removed the mouse jumps across the screen to the other side where the other finger is located. You can never judge or tell how far it will go. It could go just a few pixels or it can go across your whole resolution.

True Multi-Touch where each thing you do is inputted and recorded and works is not in a laptop yet. Surface has it. That machine is still $15,000. I highly doubt a Macbook has it for $2,0000.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread