Swapping for unlit to backlit keyboard help

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off i own an Asus N61JQ X1 with an Intel i7 Q720 @1.6GHZ. Newegg.com - ASUS N61JQ-X1 NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 16" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730
When i bought this laptop it didnt have a backlit keyboard, i wish to install a backlit keyboard, however i dont know if its backlit compatible. How can i tell? Another thing, i wish to upgrade is my ram from x2 (2GB)Kingston 204 pin SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 to a faster set, any recommendations? I want some more juice and less latency.

I am unsure about the backlit keyboard, call up ASUS and see what they can do for you.

As for the RAM, 1066 is the preferred speed by ASUS. Any faster, and it will just throttle down to your current memory speed. As for latencies, see if you can set that in BIOS. Otherwise, you are ******. What exactly are you trying to do that is not juicy enough?

Well, the i7 is extremely fast, i love it however... for i hate my windows Index rating, and i am in a competition with my Army buddy to see who can get it the highest, Hes running an i3, with a SSD. Im running my stock N61JQ. I score a 6.9:processor/5.9:Memory/6.7:Graphics/6.7:Gaming Graphics/ 5.9:primary Hard Disk.... This is basically an EGO battle, i understand that the rating itself isnt worth a **** since the overall score is based off the lowest subscore. But thats what on my plate. The comp is plenty juicy, but runs pretty hot, from the i7 and HD 5730. I just recently started this war with him, no better way to spend the extra money i make out here in iraq but to juice up my computer even more. My SSD is en route

Instead of considering Window's rating, do stress tests, Prime95, Super Pi, 3D Mark, etc.

Window's numbers mean nothing. Teach that to everyone you know.

As for the keyboard, my computers a sleeper, its amazing at gaming, however, the system itself needs a cosmetic makeover, im quite happy with my buy, newegg already increased the price for this system from 999.99 to 1099.99 after the first month on its inventory. I bought it for the specs and the i7, i figured a little cosmetic surgery would fix the way it looks. I also cant find any good skins. Every skin they have on the market is that cheap vinyl crap, im looking for some of the covers that you can get that body kits in a box, hard plastic skins that are held of with super adhesive 3m double sided tape. But i cannot find a website that custom makes these for my model.. Kinda sucks. But you buy a computer for whats under the hood, for a relatively cheap cost, and consequently loose out on the cosmetic section

*edit*
Im aware of the benchmarks, i agree with you on that, i know its a dumb battle, im wondering however, without the SSD if my computer will out perform on a benchmark. Whats the recommended time you would suggest on running the benchmark for?

What does that have to do with the keyboard? Any cosmetic makeovers on a laptop is very hard. You have a set size and curves, bumps and bruises. You'd be better off showing off your beastly desktop.

Most benchmarks have a set time to compare your speed to others. Windows bases the number off your lowest card you have. A simple SSD won't bump your rating. But in benchmarks, you may gain a little, but not much.

Sorry to inform you, but the Windows Experience Index means absolutely nothing at all. It is a number assigned by Windows to your hardware and it means absolutely nothing when it comes to real world implementation. Just because you get a high score of 6.9 doesnt mean that your machine is any better than a machine that gets a rating of 5.9 for the same item. Considering that there is no set way in which WEI sets the scores and they are based off of a numbering system that has no meaning at all.

When Vista was max of 5.9 for the WEI and now it is 7.9 for the WEI in Win7 there is no way, shape or form you can realistically say that your machine with a score of 6.9 for CPU is better than any other machine with a score that is any lower. You have no set standards in place to justify how the score was determined and there is no way to drastically improve the score. I have seen people put in a GTX260 from a 8800GTX and they only went up .2 points on the scale. Yet i have seen jumps from 4.5 to 7.9 with using lesser video cards than are available right now.

The WEI is nothing. It means nothing. You may have a higher score, but that doesnt mean you have the better system. If you beat him with real benchmark software, then you can brag. Until then you are not winning any battle. You using a false set of numbers to say a system is better when it is not.

Sorry but that is the honest truth about the WEI.

As for the topic, if you cant find someone who makes a backlit keyboard for your laptop, then chances are you wont be able to accomplish it.

Ok first off, if you were deployed to iraq, you would realize that you make a game out of anything you possibly can. Your right, who cares if your WIE is higher than mine, because mine out performs yours is the only battle in your mind. Bottom line of the post was not to start a feud with you because you think im basing my actual computers performance off of a WIE. I would be quite a moron to buy a computer based off its WIE. I didn't buy this computer because of its WIE, i bought it because i budgeted myself for $1300 dollars and found this system with a i7 720QM/4GB Dual channel DDR3/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730/USB3 to be quite an amazing combination for under $1000. None the less on an ACTUAL benchmark they both ranked in the Highest Performance category through Passmark my i7 720QM ranking 85th on the processor for both Desktop/Laptop and my video card ranked 102 for both Desktop/Laptop video cards. I also didnt buy it for looks... because obviously if i wanted something for looks or for a name i would have bought Alienware trash. They are very appeasing to the eye but under the hood its just another ordinary honda civic. This laptops a sleeper, looks very formal and business like, but... i didnt buy it for its business looks, i bought it for gaming, massive amounts of data crunching. The flaws i found with this computer was the Rams a little slow @ 664MHz, the harddrive is trash 320GB Hitachi *replacing it with a SSD with Trim*, and the KHODEL Optical Drive is junk, and the sound card sucks. Maybe I know what im talking about, im not a moron when it comes to computers, dont play me like i am. The battle is a battle of the WIE... Not benchmark scores, had i have stated Benchmark scores than you would be right, im a moron and am not judging my computer being better than his using the WIE Score. It doesn't prove anything... Lets not be stupid, cynical or ignorant. That post didn't make your mouse any bigger...

Ok, settle down folks.

Secret, you must be doing something wrong with it. Business grade laptops are not used for gaming. Do not expect too much out of a laptop. It is not like a desktop. It heats easily, and stresses under moderate usage. I think Mak can expand on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom