Sub $100 Laptops about to hit the market

Status
Not open for further replies.
This would be amazingly nice for taking notes in college. $100 for a notepad that will work for the entire span of college, simply need to take off the data files every now and then so it doesn't fill up the SSHD.

^^ They would be nice for notes in college. It's to bad I need Visual Studio which ties me to xp or Vista. Otherwise of these would suit my needs nicely.

Comparing PDAs to a low-end notebook is insane, and I think anyone who actually thinks about it realizes it. The existance of a full keyboard, a larger screen, and the entire design of the system is what makes a laptop a laptop.

A Laptop is not a PDA.

A PDA is not a laptop.

Put a Phenom in your toaster- its still a toaster.

Comparing PDAs to a low-end notebook is insane, and I think anyone who actually thinks about it realizes it. The existance of a full keyboard, a larger screen, and the entire design of the system is what makes a laptop a laptop.

A Laptop is not a PDA.

A PDA is not a laptop.

Put a Phenom in your toaster- its still a toaster.

Ok, put a Phenom and a compatible motherboard and a power supply in your toaster. Most people would consider this a case mod. Put a Core 2 Quad in an NES and you get the all too famous "NES PC" mod. For that matter, cram a motherboard into a dead beaver, I've seen it done online somewhere, it's a PC! The form factor of it is a laptop, yes, but inside are PDA parts hooked up to a bigger screen and a keyboard. It's not a "full" laptop in the way you'd consider a laptop, doesn't have x86 so you're really limited on OS. It's not completely a PDA either, since it's bigger with a keyboard. It's more in between, combining some PDA elements with laptop elements.

If it were in a tablet PC form factor then it would be an oversize PDA, but instead it's a laptop with PDA parts.

Ok, put a Phenom and a compatible motherboard and a power supply in your toaster. Most people would consider this a case mod. Put a Core 2 Quad in an NES and you get the all too famous "NES PC" mod. For that matter, cram a motherboard into a dead beaver, I've seen it done online somewhere, it's a PC! The form factor of it is a laptop, yes, but inside are PDA parts hooked up to a bigger screen and a keyboard. It's not a "full" laptop in the way you'd consider a laptop, doesn't have x86 so you're really limited on OS. It's not completely a PDA either, since it's bigger with a keyboard. It's more in between, combining some PDA elements with laptop elements.

If it were in a tablet PC form factor then it would be an oversize PDA, but instead it's a laptop with PDA parts.

The function of a device is what is most important to most people.

This device would function in the way a laptop does for people who don't use laptops as desktop replacements. Alot of people I know only use their laptops for taking notes or browsing the web. For those people, this would be a laptop in every sense of the word as they know it.

You can put desktop parts into a toaster/beaver/nes and, yes, it looks like a toaster/beaver/nes, but its function is still as a PC.

This device, regardless of any hardware, functions as a laptop. It is therefore a laptop.

Its just a low powered laptop. It doesn't function as a PDA. It doesn't function as a tablet. It functions as a laptop...

The same argument can be applied on the other end of the spectrum with oversized laptops and claim that because of their hardware and form factor they are basically just desktops.

But they're not. Its all about how the device functions.

Maybe you can score one on ebay. Shoot, I'd buy one. Nice little device to have even if it doesn't function as well as an EEE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom