Strange Log-out

aimo3

In Runtime
New Toshiba Satellite C850-B797 - Win7 Pro

The user (who is a big manager) complained it shut down very suddenly frequently (sometimes more than once a minute) while he is actively working on it, like while he's writing an email and even when he is typing, say when he is reading what he wrote.

I found that what he called 'shut-down' is actually log-out. The screen goes black for couple of seconds and the log-in screen appears. He put the username & password and his applications are still running. If the blank screen take shorter time he doesn't get logged out (stays logged in).

I did not find any explanation, and from my profile, the problem did not occur although I kept it with me for a long while. I scanned it for malware although it was very new. I then formatted it and built it from scratch.

He is still complaining. If I had not seen the problem, I would swear he is lying.

What do you guys think.

Sounds like it could be user error to me... Sounds like he's locking his system somehow. Is he pressing certain buttons when this happens? Possible he's pressing the Windows key + L, which locks the computer.

Honestly you may want to have him re-create the problem for you while you're standing there so you can see what he's exactly doing.

It could be logging him off too soon. When you get your bosses pc, right click anywhere on the desktop and click on Personalize in the drop down box, Or go to the Control Panel/Personalization
Click on Screen Saver in the lower right corner of the Personalization box, and uncheck the "On Resume Display the Log On Screen" Note: Do not un-check the log on box if he needs the security on this pc. Below that you'll see :"Change Power Settings"
Click on that and that opens the Power Options box, from there you can select the options and in those options there should be a setting for the log on time, extend this time to 20 minutes or so, It's probably set for 1 or 2 minutes or something like that

Last edited:
I've tried everything I know including the power settings. Let's just wait and see where things will go.

Edit: I've just wondered if there could be some sort of power fluctuation (in his power socket) that can cause this behavior even when the battery is charged!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom