Strange - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Strange

When trying to exit sleep mode, my computer restarts, rather than resuming normally. Any possible reason for this??

Thanks

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (DDR3 1600) Ram
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB SC
Acer G235H 23" LCD (1920x1080)
Corsair TX750
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Old 12-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Strange

Check your power settings. Sometimes if you have the computer turn off after 'x' amount of idle time it will shut the computer down completely after/instead of going into the sleep/hybernation mode.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Go into the power settings and turn off the hard disk sleep timer. Just let it go into low power standby but leave the hard drive on. This will stop that.

Or is it that you have to hit the Power button just once to fire it back up. That is now a restart. That is the system waking from hibernation.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 12-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

I need to be more specific...I have the "put computer to sleep after" settings set at never, so it never goes to sleep on its own. What I'm trying to say is, after I manually put it to sleep via the sleep button, when i attempt to wake, either by the sleep button again, or a mouse click, my computer restarts, rather than displaying the login screen prompting me for password.
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (DDR3 1600) Ram
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB SC
Acer G235H 23" LCD (1920x1080)
Corsair TX750
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Old 12-13-2008, 07:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I suppose you have Windows Vista - if the computer with problem is the one with configuration you wrote. One guy I know had the same problem. So I asked him what was his problem and how he solved it. He said he had major problems with hibernation and sleep modes on his computer. The computer used to crash while was entering in these modes. The problem solved after he installed two updates for Vista:

KB941649 - This update resolves some compatibility and reliability issues in Windows Vista. By applying this update, you can achieve better reliability and hardware compatibility in various scenarios.

KB941600 - This update resolves some reliability issues in the USB core components on the Windows Vista operating system

I am not sure that this will solve your problem, but maybe there are other updated your system needs?
Old 12-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

How do you mean Windows restart? Cause you get the log on screen? That isnt necessarily a restart. Could just be waking from hibernation. You would have to fully disable hibernation to know for sure that the system failed and restarted when you just tried to put it to sleep.

Start>Run (Make sure it is in Admin Mode)>powercfg -H off

Run that. Make sure that hibernation is fully disabled this way. Then when you click the sleep button does it do the same thing? Also leave something on like notepad. That way we can tell if it was a system failure or if you are jsut getting a login screen from sleep mode. Which is not that uncommon.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread