Strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiller.

In Runtime
When trying to exit sleep mode, my computer restarts, rather than resuming normally. Any possible reason for this??

Thanks

Check your power settings. Sometimes if you have the computer turn off after 'x' amount of idle time it will shut the computer down completely after/instead of going into the sleep/hybernation mode.

Go into the power settings and turn off the hard disk sleep timer. Just let it go into low power standby but leave the hard drive on. This will stop that.

Or is it that you have to hit the Power button just once to fire it back up. That is now a restart. That is the system waking from hibernation.

I need to be more specific...I have the "put computer to sleep after" settings set at never, so it never goes to sleep on its own. What I'm trying to say is, after I manually put it to sleep via the sleep button, when i attempt to wake, either by the sleep button again, or a mouse click, my computer restarts, rather than displaying the login screen prompting me for password.

I suppose you have Windows Vista - if the computer with problem is the one with configuration you wrote. One guy I know had the same problem. So I asked him what was his problem and how he solved it. He said he had major problems with hibernation and sleep modes on his computer. The computer used to crash while was entering in these modes. The problem solved after he installed two updates for Vista:

KB941649 - This update resolves some compatibility and reliability issues in Windows Vista. By applying this update, you can achieve better reliability and hardware compatibility in various scenarios.

KB941600 - This update resolves some reliability issues in the USB core components on the Windows Vista operating system

I am not sure that this will solve your problem, but maybe there are other updated your system needs?

How do you mean Windows restart? Cause you get the log on screen? That isnt necessarily a restart. Could just be waking from hibernation. You would have to fully disable hibernation to know for sure that the system failed and restarted when you just tried to put it to sleep.

Start>Run (Make sure it is in Admin Mode)>powercfg -H off

Run that. Make sure that hibernation is fully disabled this way. Then when you click the sleep button does it do the same thing? Also leave something on like notepad. That way we can tell if it was a system failure or if you are jsut getting a login screen from sleep mode. Which is not that uncommon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom