Starcraft 2 fried my gateway laptop, cooling suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLUE

Baseband Member
Hello,

I was playing Starcraft 2 with my roommate a while back and I got a message saying the virtual memory had all been used, or something like that and then it shut off. When I turned it back on it was still in the game and then it just died completely and wouldn't turn back on. I got it fixed at microtech and the guy said the motherboard wasn't getting power. I would like to continue playing the game, but not if it's going to kill my laptop again, what should I do to prevent this. My laptop is a Gateway P-6860FX, here is a pic of the bottom of my laptop: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting , what would be the best cooling pad I could get for it? On the picture, the vent right under the battery lock is where it was getting way too hot and then blowing out the vent on the side of the laptop right beside it. I appreciate any input or suggestions on how to solve this, thanks.

Yeah I've turned down the texture quality from high to medium, which I'm fairly confident that that and the lack of ventilation was the main factor of my laptop overheating so bad, I also turned down the effects to medium and post-processing was always medium i think and I have the back of my laptop propped up in the back for a little more venting and it isn't getting hot now. Everything else is low, except terrain I have on high, to try and make up for the texture quality. I would really like to be able to be able to have the texture quality on high though, because it just looks so much better! I'm too nervous right now though, but I will try when I purchase a cooling pad sometime this week and hopefully it will not get as hot with better ventilation. My roommate says there's a logitech one at futureshop for around 40$ Cdn and he thinks they're good. I would like to get the best one for my specific laptop/vents, but I'm not sure which one would work the best, or if there's anything else I can do to help this from happening again.

All of them are basically the same. They all rise up the back of the case, and blow fresh air onto it. I think you are expecting too much out of your system. You have to sacrifice some graphical features, or risk breaking your laptop all together.

A cooling pad wont help when you dont have enough VRAM, System RAM, and virtual memory for a game if you truely desire to play it on High settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom