Spilled Soda on Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickfilafan

Baseband Member
Hello all. I was watching The Office on my laptop and had a glass full of soda next to me while watching it. Steve Carrell (spelling?) was of course extremely funny and as I started to laugh at his antics my hand knocked the cup over and it ended up spilling on my laptop. I was not fortunate enough to hit the top of the glass to spill it away from the laptop.

Anyway, the laptop does turn on and what not. I absorbed as much as I could with paper towels. I was working at the time and I am a projectionist and had to start movies so I was rushed while cleaning and I guess didn't do the best job. When I push certain keys other keys get pressed as well. For example, if I push "b" "bg5" shows up or something similar. It's not different each time the same combination of letters/numbers each time and it's always in the same order (if this makes a difference). I took the keys off and cleaned it as well as I could and that helped a little because now with some keys only 3 letters get pressed instead of 5.

So now with my question. I know I need to get the inside workings of my laptop cleaned. As you now know, I am stupid enough to watch a funny tv show with a full glass of soda next to me and I knew that there was a probable chance of me spilling it all over my laptop. In fact, I knew it would happen.

So, should I: A. call the local computer gurus and ask how much it would be to have it cleaned/fixed; B. look up how to clean it myself and have my friend who is CISCO certified (I mention this so you know he actually knows a thing or two about computers and how they work. ****, I don't even really know what CISCO certified means so maybe that's not true. I'm about 90% sure). or C. Have my mom ask the tech guy at his school if he could fix it.

Thanks for your concern over my laptop's well being. Also, my laptop is some Gateway something or other. Also (I'm sorry I only know about three transitions), don't get me wrong. I do love my computer it's just that, I didn't have a lid. I hardly even drink soda! I usually drink bottled water because it has a lid. Except, I forgot to bring it to work. Sorry about the absurdly long post for such a simple question I go off on tangents.

You wont be able to clean it. Look up the manual online and take the keyboard out. Theres about a 99% chance you'll have to order a new keyboard for it. I had to repair a laptop for a teacher at my old job who did the same thing. Basically the keyboard gets shorted out. Laptop keyboards are entirely too hard to take apart and clean.

It all depends on how much soda got on the keyboard. It could leak down to all the other parts too. Also being cisco certified means you know basically everything about computers. I am working on getting cisco certified right now at school.

I thought being cisco certified meant you knew alot about cisco products, which are mainly network appliances.

nope its nothing to do with cisco products its all about networking, printers, and computers/desktops/laptops. It is supposed to get people ready to get A+ certified and network+ certified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom