Sony Vaio Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajwhite

Beta member
I am thinking about purchasing a laptop, specifically the Sony Vaio FW series. However I go to college in a year. So what I am wondering is that: If I buy a laptop today, will it be really "outdated" by the time I go to college?

The Specs: 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo, 6gb RAM, 400gb Hard Drive, ATI Mobility Radeon HD4650 w/ 512mb vRAM, Blu-Ray disc reader, DVD/CD R/RW drive, FREE upgrade to windows 7 :)

I don't know if there will be any HUGE advancements in laptops in the next year but i am asking you all: Will there be any new "Necessity" tech advancement in the next year that will make the Sony Vaio FW outdated?

Thanks for your help!

Well I believe they should start having new mobile processors soon. Not sure about within the next year, but soon. That means a Core 2 Duo would be outdated, and a 2.0GHz is not exactly the fastest available. The 6GB of RAM is odd to see in a notebook, and really not necessary. The rest looks great! If you could wait a few months to see if they release a new set of mobile CPU's that would be good. Otherwise look for a model similar to yours but with a faster C2D.

love the sony vaio's but when i used to sell computers i would ask the customer what he/she was gonna use it for, you've said college and even a basic laptop can run the internet and an office suite.

do you need a blu-ray player? do you need dedicated graphics? these things all send the prices up in a laptop by around 100 or so.

as for surges comment there is alot of merit in waiting for a new set of processors but thats like anything as soon as this new set comes out then a few months later there'll be better ones or improved versions my friend literally put off building a new rig for a year because stuff just kept getting better.

and as far as i know the intel core 2 duos are still benching as the best dual cores for any machine though some people still prefer athlons (which are rare in laptops mostly turions)

so yeah its a nice machine but consider the use, consider the price and make a cost benefit analysis because to be honest the working time for most laptops is about 4 years before you start having any real problems.

thats my 2 cents anyway

Well I do like to play games so thats why I went with this bigger screen and graphics card, the only thing that is really making me think twice is the 2Ghz processor. :(

Well I do like to play games so thats why I went with this bigger screen and graphics card, the only thing that is really making me think twice is the 2Ghz processor. :(

Yeah, for gaming on a laptop you probably want at least a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo.

And laptop CPU's do not change as much as Desktops, that is why I suggested he wait. The Core 2 Duo's came out like 2-3 years ago and since then no new set of mobile CPU's have come out that offer better performance (have netbooks to thank since everyone focused on the Atom).

Well, just out of curiosity, why is this processor slow? and how hard is it to upgrade laptop processors in the future?

It's not a slow processor, just not fast enough to run modern games at the best settings.

And changing laptop processors is basically more trouble than it's worth. It's possible, but not recommended.

Ok well thanx for clarifying that it's not too slow, but on another side note, how well do u think it could run Crysis (any version) or Empire total war or Arma 2? those are some of the games i like btw. if it can run them on high settings thats ok, i just want to be able to run "smoothly" without lots of frame rate jumping.

Well it would definitely not run Crysis very well. The others it would run, but you may see slowdowns if there is a lot of on screen activity like in Empire Total War. If you could find one that has a better CPU and no Blu-Ray drive that might be a better option. This one seems like it is more meant for video/photo editing and stuff.

Check the games' "recommended specs." Most modern games will recommend a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo or higher.

Doing some research (more research) and was wondering what kind of difference it would make if the Sony Vaio FW had an Intel Centrino 2 platform? *if someone could please explain* what is the difference with centrino 2 and C2D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom