Sony Vaio Series E worth it? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Sony Vaio Series E worth it?

Hello,

I've never had a laptop before. I've only owned desktops. I'm looking at purchasing a laptop for home usage...internet, blogging, some photo editing, maybe watching a movie now and then, and office work. I do not use anything that would require a lot of memory, what I consider "power computing" if that makes sense.

I am not looking for a Mac, mostly due to price issues. I have had Sony Vaio desktop in the past and it was great, it actually lasted 8 years! Due to that, i've been focusing my searches on Sony Vaios and i've also been looking at Toshibas. Does anyone here have any experience with the Vaio Laptop E series? I've done a quick search on a few forums but haven't really found anything. Also, there's a deal for a free blu-ray player when one upgrades to Windows 7 professional, so thats a plus right now for Sony.

Theres just too many options to choose from! guess that's not a bad thing though, but for people who are not really "with it" with technology, it makes it confusing. I try my best though.

Can anyone give any input?

Old 05-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Sony Vaio Series E worth it?

You never had a laptop before, yet you had a Sony Vaio laptop in the past?

I would highly recommend ASUS and Toshiba. I am not sure about Sony, as I never knew anybody that had one.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

I should have written desktop, I just had been thinking about laptops for the last week, sorry. I have never used a toshiba. The school district I work for "gives" me an HP for school usage, so that's the only time I've ever truly used a laptop. I'm not a fan of HP laptops, at least this one i'm on now, it gets pretty hot, and it's just slow. But anyways, I'll look into toshiba and ASUS. I've just had good luck with Sony desktops, I was thinking that I may have the same luck with the Sony laptops.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Tis all in good fun.

I'm not a fan of HP either. They are good for their printers. That is it.

Well, in the past, Sony did have problems with their batteries exploding. I would think they fixed that problem by now.

I have worked with both ASUS and Toshiba laptops. Both are well built. That is why I recommend them.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

So after looking online for a while, i'm seeing the Toshiba Satellite A500 and Satellite L500 laptops. Does anyone on here have an experience with either of these laptops? Long shot, but i figured i'd ask.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think the Axxx models are beefier thant the Lxxx models.

Just be very sure to look at the specs.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdansjr View Post
Hello,

I've never had a laptop before. I've only owned desktops. I'm looking at purchasing a laptop for home usage...internet, blogging, some photo editing, maybe watching a movie now and then, and office work. I do not use anything that would require a lot of memory, what I consider "power computing" if that makes sense.

I am not looking for a Mac, mostly due to price issues. I have had Sony Vaio desktop in the past and it was great, it actually lasted 8 years! Due to that, i've been focusing my searches on Sony Vaios and i've also been looking at Toshibas. Does anyone here have any experience with the Vaio Laptop E series? I've done a quick search on a few forums but haven't really found anything. Also, there's a deal for a free blu-ray player when one upgrades to Windows 7 professional, so thats a plus right now for Sony.

Theres just too many options to choose from! guess that's not a bad thing though, but for people who are not really "with it" with technology, it makes it confusing. I try my best though.

Can anyone give any input?
The Sony E series is a great option for what you will be using your laptop for. It has an Intel® Core™ i5-520M Processor and a 15.5" display. Also, the promotion that you wrote about is a really great offer. A Blu-ray player is a nice bonus feature!

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team
Old 06-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I see you are considering Windows 7 Professional. I thought that I would offer up this short video that discusses why this is a good idea: bit.ly/WhyWin7Pro . You can also go to bit.ly/W7Pro to make sure you know all the things Win7 Pro can do. I hope this helps you out.

Closed Thread