Sony vaio keys acting like function keys - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Sony vaio keys acting like function keys

Hi everyone i'm new to this forum and I am in desperate need of help. I've had my laptop for about 3 months now and just last month I noticed that the shift key on the left side did not work for some letters. I then noticed that I can't type almost any numbers in word without it doing someother function, for example, some numbers open the save as box, others open the spelling and grammar, others open word search and help options. The same happens even when i'm online. The letter p opens up developer tools, and the number 1 opens up windows help. The number do all kinds of things. The number five is the worst though. It completely refreshes my page and if i'm inputting any info, I have to start all over. I've called sony and talked with about five people and tried all sorts of diagnostic tests. I've restored the computer as well. A service guy came over and changed the keyboard so that's not the problem. It's not the number lock key either so Any suggestions? Please help!!!! I love my vaio but i'm going crazy!

Old 07-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Sony vaio keys acting like function keys

Could be a bad connection or just a bad keyboard, too. Is this still under warranty?

Old 07-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah it's still under warranty. I wish I could just send the **** thing in and be done with it. The next solution I was told woudl be to put in a new function board. I have no idea what that even is. I just hope it works.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Function board? Sounds like a new keyboard. Can you just use an external USB keyboard for now? Or are you on the go all the time?
Old 07-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well they already installed a new keyboard and it continued to do the same thing. That's when they said something about the function board. I haven't tried to hook up another keyboard since I don't have another one, but i'm curious to see if it's maybe the wiring that's messed up. I don't know.
Closed Thread