Son's laptop wont update Win7

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
OK - Have tried my limited knowledge on fixing my son's laptop. It is an ASUS with Win7 64 bit.

Apparently it has not properly updated in about 2 years. But ,he doesn't use it much so did not care as it still runs fine. I took it on as a challenge and to learn. First thing I did was run Malwarebytes, etc. then started deleting all the Asus bloatware, etc. Now down to Windows, Firefox, Thunderbird, and Microsoft office 2010 with Word. The update keeps saying that it cannot update important files because the system is using them ( or something like that) and I should restart the system. However, when I restart, nothing changes.

I have tried the "fix it" programs and it seems to get a few green checks and a few red non-checks each time. the last time it did the same thing and then I looks at the update area and it now says the laptop has never updated anything.

I ran the "fix it" program to completely download all components of update software and it said nothing needs to be downloaded.

Tried a last time, before starting this thread, to check for updates manually after doing all the "fix its" and rebooting reach time. Guess what - yep , get the same thing as before= "Windows cant update important files and services while the system is using them, Save any open files and restart the computer, then try to check for new updates."

I am stumped.....

I could try to do a system restore if there is one dated prior to when the problem started.

When you manually checked for updates, how many updates were available to install?

If there's tons of updates, it may be wise to do them in "chunks" and only check like 10 or so at a time. If you still have issues, narrow down within that "chunk" you picked, and install in smaller chunks or 1 at a time until updates start going through as they normally should.

don't know, it wont check for updates- it just says "cant update important files...... restart the computer...... then check for updates". BUT I have done that several times and it never changes, it just keeps saying the same thing and never actually checks for updates. ...

lol - not yet, but after the last reboot now the mouse failed and I have to use the Touchpad.

Bet it is a virus that was not detected by Avira, etc.

reboot to safe with networking next

Should i download avast and malwarebytes before reboot to safe or after?

EDit:

Ok finally got an error code= 0x80070057

Downloading hotfix KB947821

update:

Hotfit was very slow -but it download, retried windows update and it is now running looking for updates...... Yea - so after a few minutes of looking for updates- guess what--- yep same screen - "restart your computer to install updates"... AHHHH got to love windows.

Last edited:
This is one reason why I'm glad Win10 will be more-or-less forcing updates on home editions...

Anyway... You can do MBAM either way. I'd just stick with Avira though rather than installing Avast as well (you don't want both installed at the same time anyway).

I think this happened on a "forced update". Anyhow - some progress ,but not really. Ran Malwarebyte on safe mode and found 23 PUP's. But that did not change anything - still get "restart you computer to install important updates" = same BS . Reboot and the windows update screen says I have never updated and never checked for updates. LOL... looks like a clean install is coming my way. I got the Win7 License number off the laptop and I have a win 7 home premium install disc used fro another PC - so will probably have to do that. What PITA !!

That's always an option as well :p.

Windows Update issues can be a PITA to fix sometimes.

Well figured out that windows "Firewall with advanced security" wont open either so definitely have some corrupted files in there. Get error code 0x6D9 when I try to open it.

So I guess I will try to reinstall win7 64 home premium from a disc- not the original ASUS disc either. Will have to look up to see if that makes any difference or not?

Last edited:
Well figured out that windows "Firewall with advanced security" wont open either so definitely have some corrupted files in there. Get error code 0x6D9 when I try to open it.

So I guess I will try to reinstall win7 64 home premium from a disc- not the original ASUS disc either. Will have to look up to see if that makes any difference or not?

Biggest difference is that you'll just have to go out and get any drivers and software that's required for Asus specific stuff (like keyboard Fn keys/lights/etc.) manually (drivers I'd get from each component manufacturers' site, and the software stuff for Asus specific stuff get from Asus's site for that specific laptop model).

Back
Top Bottom