Socket 479 compatible even on laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja48

Beta member
So I have a laptop that's about 5-6 years old. Specifically it is a Toshiba Satellite L25-S1216 It's running terribly. Task manager tells me the CPU usage seems to be shooting up to 99% whenever the tiniest of things are done (ex. moving a window around, playing music). It has been reformatted and it still acts like this, even though there is literally nothing else running (acts the same in safe mode). I figure I'll replace the CPU and the hard drive. The CPU specifically is a socket 479... If I find a socket 479 CPU to buy, is it guaranteed to work on any motherboard (laptop or desktop or whatever) that has the same socket? Does anything else factor into the working-compatibility of a CPU in a motherboard?

Most mobile cpu's are soldered to the socket and can't be replaced, but some are removable. You need to check this before buying anything.

Wikipedia said:
There existed three electrically incompatible, but physically identical, versions of this socket
Source

Laptop CPU's are different from a desktop's. We would have to know exactly what it is. Even though it is the same socket, your motherboard may not be compatible with it.

But, I would not waste your money on fixing this. Save your bucks and buy a new laptop/desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom