small BIOS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otringal

Beta member
I have a Compaq Evo N1020v laptop and this is my problem: the battery is dead for a while now, but every once in a while (I tend to think it's everytime the laptop stays disconnected from the AC power for more than 10 hours), the BIOS resets itself I've already replaced the small CMOS battery and still nothing when I said the battery is dead, I meant the big one, not the CMOS ... what might cause this ? It's frustrating to have to setup the BIOS daily

Sounds like your BIOS Battery is on it's way out. They can be a pain to replace provided that the manufacturer has not done some thing stupid like solder the battery onto the motherboard.

I have a Compaq Evo N1020v laptop and this is my problem: the battery is dead for a while now, but every once in a while (I tend to think it's everytime the laptop stays disconnected from the AC power for more than 10 hours), the BIOS resets itself I've already replaced the small CMOS battery and still nothing when I said the battery is dead, I meant the big one, not the CMOS ... what might cause this ? It's frustrating to have to setup the BIOS daily

read again :) also, the battery SOCKET is soldered, not the battery itself :) so, any other solution ? help me out please

Well then it sounds like you need that battery replaced (the power battery), since it's dead. Is this a laptop that is still under warranty? Maybe you can have it done using your warranty if it is.

nope, it's 2004 like old :) but why should the big battery count ??? I mean the BIOS relies soley on the small CMOS one :(

Yes, the CMOS battery is directly responsible for the BIOS settings staying good, but think about it, if the power (both AC and from the onboard power battery) are not there, as in the case of a dead power battery and no AC coming from the wall (unplugged, as in your up to 10 hours being disconnected scenario), then I am saying MAY be a problem there.

well first of all, I did set it to the factory defaults and also flashed the BIOS 5-6 times with both the old and the newest versions of it and nothing ... and second, well think about desktop PCs ... they have no battery (big one) and often we leave them unplugged for days and yet, the CMOS battery still holds the BIOS settings up ... what do u think ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom