Slow laptop performance

kielbasa

Beta member
Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my computer and maybe someone could help me out.

I'm using old dell b130 laptop with xp onboard, pentium M1.7, 2gb upgraded memory, 128 MB intel graphics onboard. The problem is that the laptop is somehow slow.

First what I did, I cleared autostart, defragmented hard drive, deleted old files etc. I also checked if there's any malware, but no luck. I even checked if my hard drive works in DMA mode and if it wasn't somehow switched off accidentally, but no.
Finally I copied all my files and restored it to the factory state, but unfortunatelly the problem still persists. It looks like sometimes it was faster but sometimes it acts like something blocked him the power.

Let's say that I want to browse internet, and I type an address and the coursor can hang for couple of seconds. When pages load I can see the circle moving but the page loads up slowly. The same is with browising and playback. When I enter task manager, there isn't anything suspicious that'd be eating the CPU.

I know that my laptop is old but I'm sure there's something wrong with him.
I also cleared the dust next to the processor so that the air could flow easily, but still no luck. Finally I went to the passmark page and downloaded the computer test to compare to same models and my cpu gets 119points where same models get 450 on avarege, my graphics seems also to be at least 2,5 times slower when compared to others with the same name. It simply acts like the 'turbo switch was off..

Do You have any clue what might be wrong here mates?

thanks

Last edited:
Is the laptop hot when it's slow? Have you cleaned out the vents, and possibly even re-pasted the CPU's heatsink?

carnagex, as I stated before, I cleaned the dust already. I also remember that I changed the paste on the cpu. If it's about being hot - no, I don't think so. I'd say it's barerly warm on the case over the cpu.

Back
Top Bottom