Should I buy this Laptop?

Matthew Lamb

Beta member
Hi all,

I've finished school and need a laptop for university next year. I will be studying engineering so I don't think it has to be amazing, but it does need to be able to run at least some engineering programs and crunch some data (in a reasonable amount of time of course). I would of also like to be able to play a game called ARMA 2 Operation Arrowhead (for DayZ).

I came across this laptop for $649.00 AUD

Specs are as follows,

Processor: Intel Core i7-2637M 1.70 GHz 4MB Cache
Chipset Model: HM77 Express
Standard Memory: 10 GB DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive Capacity: 500 GB
SSD: 20GB
Screen Size: 39.6 cm (15.6") Active Matrix TFT Colour LCD CineCrystal 16:09 HD LED
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 1GB
Networking: Yes IEEE 802.11b/g/n Gigabit Ethernet

Here is the link as well (I understand why you may not want to click it though...) BONUS: 6GB RAM (TOTAL 10GB) - Acer Aspire M3-581TG NX.RYKSA.006-C77 i7 2637M 1.70Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB, 20GB SSD, 15.6\" LED, Nvidia GT640M 1GB, WIN 7 Home Prem - Centre Com

I have three questions.

Is this good value for money?

Can I do what I want with this system?

If not. What would you recommend?

Thank you for taking the time to help me out :)

It looks pretty powerful, the GPU isn't the best, but it's a laptop so you can't expect much, but I would expect the game to be playable on low-medium settings. As for the rest, the 20gb ssd is small and won't fit anything other than the OS, which is fine, but it'd be nice to have a larger SSD for everything, but again it's a laptop so you get what you can. I'm not sure what else is around in the AUS area for laptops but it looks pretty good to me and at a decent price. You might wanna hang out and wait for the summer / fall back to school sales to kick in (I assume they have those in australia and you're currently on summer vacation???) and you might be able to get something similar for cheaper, or something better for a similar price. but if you want something now that looks pretty good to me.

Also: Welcome to TF!

That laptop will do great with the amount of ram in it. If you want to run all your applications I would definitely say that amount of ram in a laptop will definitely be able to run them. I would say that laptop would be able to do all that you want it to do.

Back
Top Bottom