shorted laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuppen

Beta member
i think i may have shorted out my laptop, as its the only thing i can imagine that could have gone wrong. my power cord had 4 places in it that i had cut apart and put it back together, since my puppy chewed it up. it worked just fine, and then the part closest to where the tip inserts into the laptop needed to be soldered together, that happened twice, then the part close after the box in the middle went out, and soon after repairing that (never having opened that box), is when this happened:

in the middle of being used, the screen when whiteish, and the caps and scroll lock were blinking, as well as the CD drive light. it would only turn off when i held down the power button for awhile.

I have a new cord now, i had ordered one about an hour before this happened.

now when i try to turn on my laptop, still the caps, scroll lock and CD drink light blink, the screen stays a steady black, and nothing happens. also theres a clicking noise every once in awhile from the inside.

what could have happened? did it short out? it is no longer under warranty, what will i need to replace? its a compaq presario if that matters.

i have no boot disc to put into the laptop, and the CD drive does open.

on a desktop you move the jumpers but this is a laptop sooo... google is your freind

i have a compaq presario v2000.

i tried resetting the bios cmos like you suggested, but that didnt help at all. would buying a new hard drive help?

buying a new hard drive wouldnt help, how about trying different sticks of RAM as they might be damaged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom