Screen works fine until Windows loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

edvosder

Baseband Member
I assume it's an issue with my refresh rate. When I turn the laptop on, the bios stuff is all displayed normally and just fine. When windows starts, I see a little blue bar about 10px at the bottom of my screen that extends all the way across. This occurs whether I use safe mode or normal mode. The windows display never covers the screen. If i plug in an external monitor, it's just a blank screen. It must be a software issue?? I've never seen anything like this, and the computer worked a couple weeks ago, the last thing I can remember doing is installing network card drivers for a mini-PCI wireless card. But if this was the issue, I thought that surely safe mode would work. HELP!!!

Thanks
-Matt

XP Pro

Hello,

Have you tried booting using 'Last known good configuration'?

If that doesn't work, and if you haven't done so yet, try booting using 'Enable VGA mode'.

You can choose these options in the Windows XP boot options screen (the same screen where you choose to boot into Safe Mode).

HAve you tried using the function-<insert whatever key here> to switch between internal monitor and external monitor? We have several toshiba laptops here that forget where they are supposed to display to and have to be cycled through fn-f5 a few times to display correctly.

vga and last known good config do the same thing. I've tried cycling the function lcd/crt button, to no avail. The windows setup opens up in full screen though. I'm just going to install windows directly over the previous one, since i'm 95% sure this is a software issue. I just don't understand why safemode doesn't work, because these symptoms seem to be similar to display driver/mode issues.

HAve you tried hooking it up to an external monitor and checking to see if it will display to that? If so you might be able to reload the video drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom