Screen went out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCPatrick

Solid State Member
I have a Dell laptop that is not quite two years old. As I was doing some work, the screen suddenly went black, where it has remained despite my efforts to return it to normal. I have a feeling some sort of monitor light or lamp blew out since the monitor was rather dim for months before it turned totally black.

I need to get this fixed pretty quickly but am hoping I can do it myself (maybe?). I want to avoid bringing it to the Geek Squad or Office Depot ("We Now Fix Computers") but will if need be.

Anyone have any suggestions? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

It is most likely your backlight. I would suggest to get a whole new LCD screen. Replacing the single bulb is quite a task.

LAPTOP SCREEN, LCD panels from $42. Dell, HP Compaq, Toshiba, Acer, IBM Lenovo, Sony, Gateway, Apple, Asus replacement screen display panel

I have bought from them before to change a LCD screen for a friend.

They will explain how to do it for a generic laptop. I looked elsewhere for guides.

Thanks, MindoverMaster. In the meantime before I checked back to see for a reply, I called Dell. They could fix it for $360. When I responded that I might as well get a new laptop, they said they could discount it to around $280.

From the site, it looks like a new monitor is $50-something. Looks like I'll undoubtedly go that route. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll be able to install the monitor once it arrives (I've never experienced any PC/laptop installation of any kind except once removing a hard drive...).

Thanks for your help and the site!
--
Patrick

Heh, it's pretty easy. Just look up guides for your model. I did it myself 6 months ago. First time doing it as well. Was rather simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom